Any Tumi laptop case owners - does MBP scratch in it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 1, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I checked out this Tumi laptop case online, and was curious if anyone owns a Tumi laptop case..

http://www.tumi.com/alpha/slim-large-screen-computer-portfolio-brief/

I wanted to know if I have to worry about my MBP scratching in this case, iof its enough padded protection, or need to put it in an additional sleeve despite buying a Tumi case?

Thanks!

2. mac mac mac macrumors regular

3. drconehead2000 macrumors member

I currently have 3 different tumi bags...they are very well made and serve their purpose, but I still use a sleeve inside the bags for safety.

All in all, I am sure it will not scratch the laptop, but you may consider something like a booqbags sleeve for a scratch protector.

Enjoy the new bag

4. raysmd macrumors member

I have the large screen compact brief and it's very nice. It's perfect for the business traveler. no scratches.

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

how much padding is there on the bottom of the laptop compartment? my bigger concern is when putting down the bag with the laptop in it rather than the other corners.

6. raysmd macrumors member

that's not a problem. it's very well insulated.

7. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

can u show me some photos of how the inside of the laptop compartment looks like? and how it looks with the mbp in it? i dont have a tumi near me, and if u get it monogramed (which is better than leaving it blank) then u cant return it..

i just dont want my laptop to dent by the bag hitting the ground with the laptop in it.. thats why i was concerned about the padding/cushioning.

8. SuperAce macrumors newbie

9. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you tell me how much padding or cushioning is in the laptop compartment? Have you seen those incase sleeve plus bags (the ones with the pockets).. how does the cushioning compare to them?

I'm just concerned on how padded it is so that if I place or accidently drop the bag the laptop doesn't dent.

And do these look as good in person as they do online?

Thanks!

10. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yea.. also.. is are the shoulder straps connected to case with metal or plastic hooks?

11. raysmd macrumors member

the padding is more than adequate. it's better than most laptop bags and I've had many. it looks good if you're a business traveler. I love it how I can attach it to my rollaboard suitcase.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've used a larger Tumi bag for the past 8 years. In the middle compartment where the laptop goes I use a Waterfield design sleeve. Never had a problem and the bag is still going strong.

13. SuperAce macrumors newbie

The padding on the sides, front/back and bottom are very good. They are some of the best I have seen around. It is a well-constructed bag, and it looks great.

If you have a Nordstrom's near you, they have them there and you can see what they look like. That is where I got mine in special over a year ago.

I have not seen the incase sleeve bags so I can't comment on them.

14. jjfcpa macrumors member

I've been using a Tumi bag for over 2 years and I've never had a problem with it scratching any of my Macbooks - I've had 3 of them including my most recent UNIBODY Macbook Pro 15".

I'm expecting delivery of a Unibody 17" this week and just hoping it will fit.

15. SuperAce macrumors newbie

Yes, it has shoulder straps with metal hooks.

16. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

TUMI and Swiss Army are two of the very best bags out there. Both of my TUMI cases SUSPEND the laptop sleeve with elastic straps - outstanding design and construction.

For less price the Swiss Army may be the bag to beat - outstanding value.

Go visit their sites and browse.

17. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by suspend? Thanks for your input.. really appreciate how informative this thread is..

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The middle compartment has a U shape above the bottom. When you put the computer in there, it is suspended, it's not actually on the bottom liner. Great protection system, a sharp drop won't be directly transferred into the laptop. Mine is like this also.

19. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow that's awesome. That just sold me! I read U-shape on the site and thought it was just referring to the shape the zip opens and closes in.

20. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

bcaslis explained as I would have - I'm not sure all TUMI models have that feature - so read their product descriptions carefully.

21. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to have the similar description as all other alpha cases. I went ahead and ordered this one I mentioned with a monogram of my initials. Looks really nice online. Will give more details when I receive it in person. I went for this one with less pockets because its thinner than the others. I'm going to attach the red booq "17 inch MBP" keychain on the front zipper too just because it matches with the whole red/black look :)