Any Ubuntu Users here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 26, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm curious to know what others think of this, I installed kubuntu (the KDE variant of ubuntu) on the bootcamp partition and so far I've been impressed.

Thoughts/comments on Ubuntu?

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

AWESOME! :D. Debian/Ubuntu is great. It always works so cleanly and it's so easy to install applications via the apt system.

Simply put, I love it.

3. Caezar macrumors 6502

I tried Ubuntu a few months back but I quickly gave up on Linux for two main reasons:

- Power management for portables is subpar, resulting in shorter battery life and (more importantly) heat issues. I did not manage to solve this issue even after doing some research.

- Fonts are not consistent and are ugly.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know if all distros have the apt-get method of installing packages but I thought that it was a great feature.

I agree on the first issue - Power management on my MBP is rather poor, do in part because there's no way to change the GPU to the lower power 9400 GPU.

Fonts in firefox - yes ugly, but I use KDE and found that I've not had any problems/complaints with font rendering in Konquorer or the open office.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I use UbuntuEEE with my EEE Pc 701. I'm not really a fan of the performance, but I suppose it has to do with the meager specs of the unit itself. I figured with 1GB of RAM it would run decently though...

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've used it some. not using it at the moment though

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I loaded it on my MBP with the intent to learn something new and then possibly replace my windows partition. I use windows for my vpn connection and work.

All in all, I've been very impressed with it, and I gave windows the heave hoe. The KDE interface is a tad buggy but overall I'm enjoying playing with the OS. Like OSX, I don't have to worry about viruses or the application/OS phoning home. The small foot print is refeshing as well. It runs very effeciently.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

ubuntu is I think the best Linux distribution for general computing. It is easy to use and looks and acts a lot like Mac OS X. The only real problem with it and the reason I bought a Mac is that Linux can't run the Adobe suite, Aperture or Logic. The purpose of an OS is to run Applications. I do use Linux (redhat) nearly full time at work.

For those who say "I don't like Linux because..." well you can fix it. It's Open Source. The issues with heat/fans and fonts can all be fixed without much trouble.

I've been a Linux user from about 1993. Before that, other Unixes. I kind of missed the "Windows thing" it came and went while I was doing something else.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed and that's one reason why I'll continue to use OSX. Even if they had an aperture competitor, I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to convert my 75gig aperture library over to something else.

Edit:
    I do want to say one thing, OSX has a certain finished quality and feel that does seem missing in Kubuntu (using KDE instead of Gnome). What I like about OSX is how many of apple products integrate so well with each other and the system. For instance, I can easily pull images from my aperture library into my iweb website, with a click of a button, my settings are automatically backed up to mobileme. While much of the functionality can be imitated, it would require a lot of work, where as for OSX, its working out of the box.

nonetheless, I found ubuntu to be a breath of fresh air and fun to place with. Also as I mentioned, Ubuntu has successfully replaced my need to use windows so much so, that I've deleted the windows bootcamp partition.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I bought a little EEE Pc, installed EeeBuntu on it. Overall, fairly nice, for general computing, surfing, email, music playing, and watching movies it was fine.

My problem was that not every functionality I needed in a comp was covered by apps in the synaptic package manager. I was able to find an app that would do what I needed, but installation was extremely complicated, eventually gave it up.

Linux has come a long ways, still has a little ways to go for average users to be comfortable with it.