Any UI lag or Safari lag with Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlockEight88, Oct 24, 2013.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Seen a few people say Mavericks makes things worse. Any rMBP owners care to comment on any potential UI lag? Safari browsing was pretty bad in ML also. Is Safari smooth again running in Mavericks?

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

After 2 days of Mavericks on a 2012 RMBP, I can say that the UI animations simply have horrible lag. I never complained in Lion or ML, even though there was sometimes a little microstutter here and there. But this is bad. Really bad. Sure, Safari is smoother, but who cares? The rest of the machine is unusable. And, yes, I tried installing the OS from scratch.

Want some advice? If you hate UI lag don't upgrade. The lag freaks are going to go up the wall sideways about this. And they'll be perfectly justified if you ask me. As I said, I'm not picky. But this is unacceptable.

3. skirmisser macrumors member

Apart from iTunes, *everything* else is smooth. 10.9 has cured UI lag for me (2012 15" rMBP 2.6/16).

4. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I haven't noticed anything. Certainly nothing that would make it "unusable." And I don't even use Safari.

5. walkie macrumors 6502

Yes, the scrolling on Mavericks on my early 2013 rMBP 15" is definitively as smooth as butter, my laptop feels like a new one ;-), I have tested Safari on a lot of heavy content web pages and none of them showed lag, mission control is also faster, Apple made an excellent job in Mavericks.

6. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Like I said in a couple other threads, scrolling seems to be fine, but there's UI lag in scaled resolutions. Mainly talking about window animations like Mission Control. It's worse than Mountain Lion. Since native resolution seems to be fine, I think they changed something in their scaling algorithm and it's not as smooth as it used to be.

But, I can also induce lag even in the native resolution by using transparent windows like iTerm (with transparent background). Never had that issue with ML.
    But the frame rates are choppy if transparency is turned on.

I think they'll fix it in the 10.9.1 release though.

All I can say is that in its current form, the UI is just as laggy on the Haswell machines as it is on the Ivy Bridge machines, because Mavericks is adding some lag that wasn't there before.

7. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

That is good they are not charging for c r a p o ll a then because they know this update needs a lot more work a lot more to cover? Get it? If they believe in their product they would sell it, we would buy it if it was of quality, if it is free, well heck, I am always skeptical :)

8. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Are you running in "best for retina" resolution?

Try running in 1920x1200 scaled resolution and see if Mission Control is still buttery smooth.

9. skirmisser macrumors member

Running in "best for retina". Guess Apple does not really optimize for the scaled ones...

10. Tibits macrumors regular

Even in 'Best for Retina' there is considerable lag moving in and out of Aperture in full screen on the 2012 max RMBP. Apparently Mavericks isn't the panacea for these issues it was touted to be.

11. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

Using 1920x1200 on a 15" screen is painful, even if the animations were smooth as silk. Which, FWIW there are on mine, even set at 1920x1200. Pulling up MC with CS6, LR5, and Chrome with 15+ tabs open is nice and smooth.

12. walkie macrumors 6502

Nope, I haven't tested it on scaled resolutions, only in "best for retina", I'll do it later today on my early 2013 2.7/16/512 rMBP when I get home and then write it back to here to compare it to others, in my case I don't feel UI lags at all.