Any UK iPhone users on O2 used their iPhone in the USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by copydeskcat, May 18, 2009.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

I'm a UK iPhone (3G) user (on O2, naturally) and I'm heading to Florida in July.

Are there any users here on the forum who have taken their iPhone to the USA while on holiday?

If so, what were the charges like?

I don't plan on making many phone calls - probably mostly SMS messages (not too many though) and probably email/internet.

I don't want to come home to a whopping great bill, but I wouldn't mind paying a few quid extra if it meant I ould avoid hefty roaming charges.

Answers/experience below.

Cheers!

CDC

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

ITS takes the some of the pain off the gouging. The charges i incurred weren't a lot at all then again i mostly sent txts and absolutely did not use any data whatsoever

You can check the O2 site for roaming charges

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Data is £3 per MB in the EU/ £6 non-EU. (so USA applies here)

Your best bet is to get a data roaming package. £20 for 10MB, £50 for 50MB.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If you plan to only use SMS you don't have to worry about additional cost. (so long as the people you're txting are UK numbers and you don't send 100s of txts)

My Experience of SMS abroad has been that for every text I send it removes 4 from my monthly allowance. So for a 500 SMS allowance I only have 125 to use before I run out, of course incoming messages don't effect this.

And like Willis mentioned for the Internet access get a data roaming package.

5. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I used data in the States for a few days during a 5 day trip.

This was light use - a few emails.

My regular monthly bill 35 went to 135.
    The quoted rate is 3 quid per megabyte - but there's no way to challenge their statistics.

My advice is to turn-off data roaming - and scavenge WiFi wherever possible.

C.

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

put the bolt on a MONTH before because if you decide to put it on last minuite, they only give you MB pro rata!:mad:

7. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Spent two and a half weeks in Florida last year. I'm with o2 Ireland and bought a 70mb package foe about 70 euros. Was lucky to have internet access all over resort in which we stayed. Incurred absolutely no additional charges. Looking forward to going back next year with the addition of skype

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

thats EU price. Non-EU (like the USA) is £6/MB

When I went to Italy last year, I called up in France to add it on for the month and it was on within 12 hours. I went over my 10MB limit by another 10MB. Should have cost £55 and was £85

9. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Sms

I went last Christmas and a lot of my text messages were never delivered.

Take the iPhone but buy a cheap PAYG while you are out there and just use iPhone when you need to and on wifi.

10. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

just wondering, what carrier do you roam on when in the US?

11. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Most likely AT&T.

They're our largest GSM carrier.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You will be roaming on AT&T and they are absolutely crap, iPhone defaults to it but you can switch to T-Mobile if there's coverage