Any UK users get wi-fi away from home?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Truly55, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Truly55 macrumors newbie

I bought my wife an iPod Touch which she is very happy with. Except we cannot get wi-fi anywhere away from our home router. At home it works perfectly accessing my router and it happily gets web and mail, etc. Away from home I've never ever got a wi-fi signal even though my iPhone does in the exact spot. Is the UK just poor for wi-fi for something like a Touch as my own iPhone get web and mail all over the place?

cheers for any advice.

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I'm in Kuwait at the moment, I get coverage at most places, yet my dad and uncle have trouble getting connected on their Nokias (my uncle has an N95).

Has she tried McDonalds? For some reason, the wifi in their stores seems to be really reliable, in my experience.

Whenever I get the "Cannot find the server" error, I find that turning the wifi off and then back on usually fixes it.

Sorry, I wish I could have been of better help.

All the best.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Even though Apple doesn't admit it, I believe the iPod touch wifi antenna is slightly crippled with it's maximum range, compared to the iphone's wifi. I'm not on about the iPhone having EDGE, i'm talking solely about the device(s) wifi antenna.

This is why I believe your wife is having difficulty with signal strengths with the iPod touch.

R-Fly

4. delude macrumors 6502

I've found a few, but none that I can really connect to properly. A lot are hotspots like 'The Cloud' where you have to pay, or 'WiFi Spark' where you just cannot connect to. I really don't get the 'WiFi Spark' points :confused:

5. chall5 macrumors regular

None outside, but I successfully connected to and used a the wi-fi in a Hotel I visited once - worked well and was free

6. dhc macrumors regular

I work in Norwich, which has a city wide (though patchy) free wifi. I regularly collect email and browse the web on my iPod touch using this service.

7. gavintrev macrumors newbie

UK wifi spots

The only free wifi spot I have found is McDonalds. It seems you have to log in each time. My IPT picks up lots of wifi connections in town or in the suburbs, but they are all locked and require a log-in code.

Gavin

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Uk Wifi is Ridiculous, i live in York and 90% of the wifi signals are protected private networks, the only free ones that work are in bars/cafes/bookstores and mcdonalds. My touch cannot conect to cloud as their login page will not display properly!

9. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I have subscribed to the ipod touch service on the cloud - if thats what you have done you shouldnt need the log in screen - it picks up your mac address and you should log on automaticllay. Here is the page

10. Grasbak macrumors 6502

The Cloud

In terms of the cloud, i have found it to be ok - speed is fine and in my home town (Scarborough) you get pretty good coverage in the town centre - there is a hotspot within 100yards.

Biggest gripe is that the pub I goto regularly is on the cloud site as a hotspot but it doenst work - i questioned the bar staff and they say someone is coming to fix it but its been weeks so far!

We have a wifi network in my office building which seems to be unsecured! Means i can sit outside in the summer and check emails etc!

Of course if I go round to any friends who have a wireless network i ask for their passwords!

11. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I just bought an iPod touch last week (after putting my nano through the washing machine.. duh!)... the nice (and not so nice) thing about Taiwan is everyone builds their own PC's here with random wireless cards from random manufacturers with drivers that dont support any other routers but their own.. and since Windows is so difficult to get working with wi-fi encryption... everyone finds it easier to just leave it switched off.

The result... guaranteed free wi-fi EVERYWHERE I GO!!! :D:D