Any underclocking software for OS X available now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Coolbook still doesn't support i5/i7 CPU's. Now that we are in 2011, is there any alternative software finally? :)

One that underclocks only when on battery would be great, but if I have to do it manually it's ok too.

2. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

instead of clocking down the CPU, why don't you increase the fan speed? This would keep the heat down while not requiring you to sacrifice performance. I recommend SMCFanControl.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I do not know why you would want one. Nehalem cpus dynamically underclock themselves all the time. If your goal isn't saving batteries, then use smc fan control. It works any any intel mac.

4. RT2020, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

RT2020 macrumors regular

To the above poster: Dynamic frequency scaling has been a feature of intel processors for years, it's not unique to Nahalem.

To the origional poster: CoolBook isn't for under-clocking, its for undervolting. There is a big difference, your processor speed is unaffected when you undervolt your CPU. When you undervolt, you are tweaking/optimizing how much power is used (and thus heat generated) for different frequencies.

5. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Temperatures is not the problem. I figured I might make an ultra low voltage MBP when I don't need all that power. Maybe I can get 16+ hours of battery life then?

I don't think the nalehem CPU's go to 1.2 ghz range automatically? Or is there not much to be gained basically by doing this? :)

6. RT2020 macrumors regular

You're not going to get hours of extra battery life from undervolting. You may get 15-20% lower power consumption of the processor itself (but don't forget, hard drive, wifi, screen, etc will still use the same amount of power).