any unusual exercises help with your abs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Jan 11, 2010.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i do all the normal stuff...all the stuff that would be found in a top 10 list or most effective list for abs etc.

just wondering if anyone does some unusual but beneficial exercises for their abs.

I am into fitness and all of that so I could probably tell just from reading if it really would work or not.

site links to said exercise would be beneficial.

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

One of the best ones you can do is hanging leg raises, like from a chinup bar or something. I started getting more of those chisel line things (I've heard them called Apollo's belt) after I started doing these.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another vote for these. Do them as slowly as possible too. They're really good for you.

4. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah i do hanging leg raises. i usually just do the normal "bring knee towards your chest while keeping the back as flat as possible" motion. Results are okay...not terribly wonderful, but okay. i guess i am trying to go after a little better results on the sides of the abs.

do you mean "cut lines" around the hip region when you say apollo's belt?

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There are these things called "crunches." Do a million of them.

I kid.

Honestly, running always did good things for that illiac crest area for me, and it burns the calories to make all your hard work visible.

Indoor rock climbing will do insanely great things for your core muscles, and it's more fun and mentally engaging than "Lift something heavy. Repeat."

That said, gym machines that offer more resistance than your own body weight can provide could help build muscle without spending hours at it.

Don't neglect laterals.

The hanging leg lifts are also a great exercise. I just wanted to offer something different.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup.
    Like these ones…
    [​IMG]

7. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

didnt the old folk use to say shorts and pants should be worn at the belly button? this kid's underwear is like half hanging off.

i remember i was always told gentleman wear their bathing suits at the beach at their belly button. any lower and you are a playgirl. ha

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

Running and swimming. Abdominal exercises don't do a thing for a most people since you can't spot reduce body fat (if you don't know what that means look it up).

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Dude - the shorts were loose and I didn't get a chance to pull them back up before the picture was taken. Cut me some slack!

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Like that.. I've heard them called Sex Lines, Apollo's Belt, Adonis belt, etc etc. They're all the rage right now, but a bugger to actually get.

Honestly, if you want good abs plan on a strict diet and lots (and lots and lots) of ab exercises.

I know you say you're kidding, but doing a million crunches really doesn't work that well..

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

:eek:

I think all you guys should post pics of your abs for, erm... Research! Yeah, research. :p:D

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I request a deferral on account of it's just after the holidays. :(

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'll show mine if you show yours ;)

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's a picture of my stomach somewhere... I think... :p

15. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

haha very true.

and yes..i found that I can attain blatant ab lines after a very hard cardio and lack of food in the tummy. But after a huge dinner or something and before pottie break, ab lines are less blatant.

I guess i am wondering, when in the mists of leg raises, should you really be feeling pain almost to the point of not continuing? I usually do 5 sets of 12 and i really dont feel a whole lot going on.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Visible abs are a function of body fat percentage.

17. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yes, but that picture of the guy is not just visible abs...those ab muscles are worked out.

18. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I've always found that a nice chest cold with lots of coughing and dry heaving does wonders for the abs. Sucks for about everything else though and isn't really sustainable.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does anybody find that guy's abs and stomach area gross? :confused: it's so lumpy and unnatural looking. I don't think I'd ever want that.

20. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i think the whole picture is gross. If that was natalie portman. No

21. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Food poisoning has similar effects with the added bonus of weight loss :p

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not necessarily. It's also genetic. It is not possible for everyone to get abs like that.

23. bearbear macrumors regular

Kind of. The ab indentations (4 pack, 6 pack, etc) are actually tendons over the abdominal muscle and determined by genetics. Adonis belt is also genetics. Visibility is just a matter of body fat %. They won't look exactly the same, but anyone really can get abs like that with work.

You don't need to do a million ab exercises to see results. You should work it like any other muscle. Crunches at 3 sets of 12 reps (weighted to the point where it's hard to more than 12) 2 to 3 times a week will get you better results than 1000s of bodyweight crunches. Resistance is the key. For the most part, abs are made in the kitchen but if you're abs are tiny and you cut down your body fat %, there's not going to be much to see.

24. Keebler macrumors 68030

only way is to burn fat. doing ab exercises will just help burn fat, but you need cardio to melt any fat away to reveal the abs.

25. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    Personally, I agree with Absract, it's just gross and unnatural. I also can't stand girls without much body fat, especially near the belly and hip area. Curves are sexy, I don't see why most (teenage mostly) girls can't see that.