Any update from OWC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bevo, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bevo macrumors regular

Still waiting on the OWC pci-e SSD upgrades... Any news? They released a prototype like a year ago at some convention.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

3. gottria macrumors newbie

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 512gb for my MBA 2013. No I just have to figure out how to clone the old ssd to the new ssd considering there are no Apple PCIe to USB 3 devices out.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Any update from OWC?

That's the main reason I haven't gone this route yet with my rMBP. I need an external case first. I don't want to go a roundabout way of cloning to a normal external drive, then replacing the SSD, booting from the cloned external, and cloning to the new ssd. Seems like an unnecessary amount of steps.

5. newellj macrumors 601

You got that on eBay, I assume?

6. motrek macrumors 68020

This process is actually so ridiculously easy there's absolutely no reason why you should think it's awkward.

There's a free (shareware) program called SuperDuper! that will clone a drive in a couple of clicks.

Then to boot from a cloned drive it's just a matter of clicking on something in the control panel ("Startup Disk" pane).

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Does it matter that the cloning process goes SSD > HDD > SSD? That's my main hangup with it. If it was SSD all the way through then I wouldn't have reservations about it.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Nope, doesn't matter at all. They're all drives. :)

9. gottria macrumors newbie

What about if you have bootcamp running windows 8.1? Will it still clone everything over?

----------

Yes sir. Paid more than I wanted but needed it.