Any update on defective units?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sp392845, Apr 1, 2015.

1. sp392845 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine (the only one I know who is also buying an Apple Watch) is now putting off buying it for "a month" because she read about defective units and obviously doesn't want to invest in a broken Apple Watch. Has there been anything else on this, is it all just a lot of hullabaloo?

Sorry if this is repetitive...

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Yes, there are defective units. Just like any other mass manufacturing, nothing has a 100% yield rate.

Now if you're asking if there are defective units being sold... well, no one has bought one yet.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple has to start somewhere.

Until they're being used in the mass market by customers, there's no way to deliver a bug free product.

Impulse buyers and Apple devotees will buy the original. Those with patience and a desire for a better more reliable model will wait.

It's as simple as that... :)

5. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Great. Tell your other friends to not but one too. That way I can be a bit more sure of stock for me.

Nothing...NOTHING...has a 100% manufacturing record. Most are detected during the manufacturing process, and a few more during the testing phase. Not all watches will be tested, the usual process is a batch test, although in some case a visual test and/or automated testing is performed but neither are definitive.

If your friend wants one that's guraranteed to work, he could but one, let someone use it for 6 months to test it and then pass it on to your friend.

You buy one, it doesn't work, you take it back. The process is pretty similar whether you're buying a watch a car or a pair of pants.

Quality generally improves the longer something is in production, however in most cases lessons learned during the making of v1 are corrected in v2...but v2 introduces its own issues.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Two thoughts:

1 - Waiting a month probably won't make any difference. Out of all of the notorious hardware issues Apple's had in the past, I can't think of one that was acknowledged and rectified within a month of a product's launch.

2 - Apple has a 14-day return policy, so if she gets a defective watch right out of the box, she can return it for a refund and buy another one. If she gets a watch that has a hardware issue after 14 days, she's covered under the one-year AppleCare warranty. So in that sense, her "investment" is safe.

7. sp392845 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm buying one no matter what, but I just didn't know if there was any update.

8. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

1 - ^ This, five months already with the ipad air 2 POP issue.

2 - Yeah after 14 days you can get an amazing refurbished. :D

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

10. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

11. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

But what you're saying is that apple have detected these and removed them from the sales pipeline. The result is that you won't be buying a defective unit.

If there was a story that said 100% of apple products working, then I'd be much more worried because it would be total b******t

12. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Me? i'm not saying that those are your words not mine.

13. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

No, I'm quoting the report, but posted by you. If they have found 70% are defective then they won't be putting those ones up for sale.

The 30% that passed will for be sale and those aren't defetive.

14. smorrissey, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Oh ok, but i disagree, do you know about the ipop issue on the ipad air 2? i don't know how many people have it but pretty much if you go now and buy a brand new one your chances to get a popy one are high.

Apple main objective right now is to make tons of money, quality is not priority #1 to them.

Sell as much units as you can, that's their aim, if people complain about defects hand them a refurb in exchange..

I can see a bunch of people complaining about that watch but let's wait...nothing has happened so far.

15. twisted-pixel, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I think the damage that could be caused by a 'massive quality problem' is too great a risk for them to take. I do expect there will be some defective items and these always make the headlines. How often do you see people posting they the the product they just bought works??

Ever read a post that said "hey just wanted to say my blender works"?

Negative publicity spreads quickly and they will want to avoid this by keeping defects to a minimum. I myself have suffered from power switch issues on the iPhone 5 (a known issue), loss of connectivity on the 8.1.2 upgrade (a huge faux pas for Apple) and others on various products, but if you expect a mass produced product to be issue free then you're in for a shock.

I understand the risks and much like you, I suspect, will be placing my order at 00:00:00.001 on the 10th

16. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Me? no way, i don't even have an iphone 6 but i have an ipad air 2 that pops...so there you go...

But lets see what happens with the iwatch it's gonna be fun to see..

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I predict this forum will go wild with just the first scratch! There will also be f
    Defects but the vast majority of the buyers will be very happy, well until their battery goes dead. :p

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

So, because a recently discovered minor problem with a product not even on the market for 6 months hasn't been fixed yet, "Apple main objective right now is to make tons of money, quality is not priority #1 to them". Riiiight. And you realize, don't you, that these statements are contradictory? "i don't know how many people have it" and "if you go now and buy a brand new one your chances to get a popy one are high." If you don't know how prevalent the problem is, how can you know that the problem is big enough that you have a high chance of getting one? Really, very few people seem to have it since it doesn't have articles being written about it, just a few people on forums.

Also, if you read the rumor article about that 70% defect rate, it's talking about that rate meaning Apple will have far fewer watches to sell, which means they aren't selling those ones with the defects.

19. camtechman56 macrumors regular

While I agree with the statement that was made about if Apple released defective units they would cause trust problems with the majority of their costumers, I really can't believe the comments I'm reading. like yours " maybe your friend is defective", or " you have to expect defective units being shipped" so we can work out the problems. What the heck are people thinking? if Starbucks gave most people the wrong coffee they would bitch, and that is only a couple bucks. Where this watch is between $350 - $17000, and some of the people would accept it, just because it is Apple. Sorry if I'm buying a product from a company, be it a machine part or a watch. I'm not going to accept a defective product. they have had years to work on this product and have tested it, gave it to their people to wear and beta test. Like a machine part, if it doesn't work it means my machine is still down, and isn't doing me any good, and that is the point no matter what company you buy from. Like saying it is ok that the machine is down and I may lose this costumer, but it is Apple and they are more important than I.

I'm sorry! but I see this too much. people don't expect quality anymore. I am old enough to remember when " the customer is always right " not the customer will accept what we give them.

And yes, if you ask anyone i have done jobs for, they would say the job was done right the first time, sometimes it took a little longer than quoted because of unknown factors, but never defective and at the price quoted even if it cut back on my profit. Those are my values and I don't expect less from others!

20. kovey macrumors 6502a

Your "friend" is a fool.

21. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I must be lucky - I've never bought pants that don't work.

Your main point is entirely correct, of course.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. With any mass produced item, there is going to be some duds that come off the assembly line. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The chances of getting one are pretty small and even if you do Apple will replace it.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

70% of an Apple product line defective? Been there, done that. It's called the iPhone 5 (remember how they made their way into retail boxes chock full of nicks and scrapes).

24. smorrissey, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

smorrissey macrumors 6502a

So do you want me to mention too all the iphone 6 scratched/cracked screen issues, bad ensamble issues and even bend problems too?

Have you seen all the threads posted on Apple forums? Even many of them with photographs.

Gorilla Glass? My 2 cents, maybe Apple uses a different gorilla breed...

All minor issues according to you right? hope you don't get ever a serious issue with your Apple devices.

Ok, then you want me to go with my own statement even if i'm wrong or right, ok i will: All the ipads air 2 are affected by this issue period. IMO the people who doesn't mention it they just don't care about it or they don't even notice it.

And why i'm saying this? because i've been following those threads, people even with refurbished replacemts also pop!. Again i could be wrong i'm not the holder of the truth.

Dude they are selling gold ones here.....they are not losing...customers those might...

25. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Are you suggesting that this persons friend isn't actually a friend?