Any Update on Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Has there been any update on the status of the iPhone Google Voice app? This is the ONE thing preventing me from switching back to the iPhone from Android. I don't understand how Line2 can be allowed in the app store but not Google Voice. Last I heard, the rejection was being investigated but I haven't heard anything since. Anyone know?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

My guess is that with apps like GV, Skype, etc... that's the reason for the data caps. I would venture to guess that GV would be showing up in the near future.

3. TLewis macrumors 65816

Have you tried using the GV mobile (web) interface? It's pretty nice, and gives you much of an app functionality.

Edit: like this: http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/google-voice-for-iphone-and-palm-webos.html

4. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

That is one thing as well, I dont want to have to depend on jailbreaking the phone to use a gv app, but I'm willing to try this web app compatible with the iphone if I come back to the iphone:
    http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

Have you checked this out? Or anyone else, how well does it work?
    My main concern is that I use google voice as my main texting number.

5. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

6. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

The mobile app sucks in comparison to the native Android app.

7. phrint macrumors 6502

Try this...

GVMax is a solution that works in conjunction with the web ap if you do not want to jailbreak your iPhone.

It works with Prowl (iPhone ap) and pushes notifications of a GV sms directly to your phone real time. Best of all, it's free but also offers additional functionality for a small fee.

https://www.gvmax.com/

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Set your GV account up to email your texts. Once you recieve the text as a email, you can respond via email. *at least w/ a gmail account* It works well. The only thing you need the webapp for is to start a new text. Its not that bad ...

That being said, I cannot get my friends and family to differntiate between my real number and my GV text number. So I don't use GV at all.

Getting the phones working on GV was a complete nightmare. I will never actually use the phone part. If I could, I'd deactivate my GV account completly.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

10. phrint macrumors 6502

IMO - they should. But there are good workarounds unless you want to jailbreak.

11. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the Android app you could also call from either your Mobile or Google Voice number (but it still goes over AT&T and uses minutes so they shouldn't have a problem). This is a great feature IMO.

12. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

That would be a great feature. I don't think there is ever a chance to officially get GV on the iPhone though. Too much AT&T oversight on that one. If that get's on there, they are going to loose a chunk of their text messaging business since GV does that for free.

I agree with the poster, set it up via email. If you need to start a new text, that's the only time you would have to bring it up till another work around is found. Also, getting the new iPhone is also a great time to broadcast a new phone number :rolleyes: I plan telling as many people I know that my GV number is my new number when I get my iPhone. That way i don't have to pay for texting!

13. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

14. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

So frustrating! This is the one thing (well aside from the notification tray) that is making me contemplate keeping my Nexus One instead of switching to the iPhone 4! Wish Apple would just allow it in the app store!!

15. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for Google voice and Google maps navigation. Please Apple and/or Google allow and/or submit the applications to the appstore.

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Nope, there is a free version supported with ads... works really well, its like a native app but it's a web app.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Voice Central Black Swan offers a HTML web app that works great with GV there's a free version as well as a premium paid version...but the GV web app in itself is functional enough for most things you'll use it for

18. Resist macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it be easier to just use your GV number? Setup GV so that number rings any other number you assign, like your cell or home phone. Then setup texting to go to a free iPhone texting app, like say Textfree Unlimited, or one of many others.

I would think then this way your contacts could call one number for voice and text.