Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I remember a few months back (before 10.5.6 was released) a number of people were having problems with their aluminum MacBooks when they upgraded their RAM themselves. Some non-apple-provided RAM was causing kernel panics, lockups, and other serious issues (issues which would disappear as soon as the RAM was removed). People were speculating that it was because the nvidia chipset in the MacBook is very picky, so any differences in latency or other tiny differences from Apple-provided RAM would cause issues.

I haven't heard anything new about this issue lately. Has a system update fixed it? I'm asking because 4gb RAM is now cheap enough that I am getting very tempted, and the upgrade would really help me out.

pursuitofmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
I have the 2.4 model (10.5.6) and upgraded to 4GB (crucial) about two weeks ago I have not encountered any crashes at all.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I ran all the updates, SMC firmware, EFI firmware and I'm still having issues. I will have Crucial replace the RAM and see if the problems go away.

hmai18

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
2.0 unibody. 10.5.6 and all firmware updates before upgrading with an OWC kit. Problem free.

fuzzycuffs

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
10.5.6 + EFI updates fixed the issue (afaik, OWC ram works great and is $77 for 4GB).

The EFI updates alone did NOT fix the issue.

So it's a combination of everything.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well, the 2nd kit from Crucial was even worse, my Macbook wouldn't come back from sleep at all with it installed. :(

I'm checking out the different reviews on newegg for different kits and it seems people aren't having much luck with the Corsair and Kingston kits either. Most people I see without issues are running the OWC ram.

This is getting really annoying, do the RAM manufacturers even test out their stuff ?

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Well, the 2nd kit from Crucial was even worse, my Macbook wouldn't come back from sleep at all with it installed. :(

I'm checking out the different reviews on newegg for different kits and it seems people aren't having much luck with the Corsair and Kingston kits either. Most people I see without issues are running the OWC ram.

This is getting really annoying, do the RAM manufacturers even test out their stuff ?

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Crucial 4GB kit from Newegg and I would get Kernel panics about once or twice a day. They sent me a new kit, and so far, (5 days), no problems.

polska9

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
im running 4gb kingston ram and so far i havent the problems that people are mentioning and my computer is up to date according to the software update.

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
I bought me the OWC 4gb updgrade kit and my MacBook 5,1 won't wake from sleep now.

Took the new ram out, and voila, the system works as expected again. Requesting a swap or refund from OWC now.

Hopefully I can just swap and all will be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.