Any Updates Soon and 2.5 GHz vs. 2.6 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoshiteru, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. yoshiteru macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #1
    Hi I am new to the whole Apple scene, I have only bought one apple product in my like and that was the video iPod when they first came out. I have long looked at Apple macbooks and was intrigued with the design, and the fact that they actually had pretty good specs (maybe a bit overpriced, but probably worth it). Well I had waited for a while and finally the new Penryn notebooks came out, but some people were saying that they may update soon again because this was a rushed update, or something to that extent. I wanted to ask two questions before I go out and buy a macbook pro.

    1. Do you think that it is at all likely that new macbook models would come out before September, because I want to get my new macbook for school and if a new model is very likely to come out, then I would rather wait.
    2. Also, now instead of 2.4 and 2.6 GHz it is 2.5 GHz and 2.6 GHz and I was wondering would that .1GHz really make a difference? Because I want to get my laptop to have Mac OS for school work and most things, but have windows to play my games at pretty high speeds.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    P.S. Oh and part of the reason why I ask about the 2.5 vs 2.6 is partly about cost, but also about determining whether I should get it premade or custom built.
     
  2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #2
    The Montevina chipset update should come around July-September most likely yes. It's scheduled for a launch by Intel in June. I'm sure there will be small CPU bumps in speed. The big update won't be till Nehalem though which won't be until the end of 2008 and into early 2009.

    Personally I would just get the 2.4Ghz model MBP if you're buying now. There's not enough justification to go for the 2.5-2.6Ghz models due to the fact the CPU speeds are only marginally faster and the 8600M GT 512MB isn't going to be any faster than the 256MB model. It's not that fast of a video card really so it can't even use 512MB of VRAM. You would need an 8800M GT to really make use of 512MB.

    I would go with the 2.4Ghz model now or wait till summer on Montevina.
     
  3. yoshiteru thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #3
    Thanks, do you think it is worth waiting for the updates, or should I just go ahead. I don't really need the laptop now, but it would be nice to have it early. And other than small performace boosts (that is just like 2.6 GHz to 2.8 GHz right?) is there anything that might be new like the multi touch was for this last update?
     
  4. supermint macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #4
    I am in the same boat as you. I am going to wait because 1) I don't have all the funds available now, 2) I would enjoy a potential redesign and 3) I want to make the free iPod deal! Though, if they update the laptops it would seem more logical to do so after any big promotions.
     
  5. yoshiteru thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #5
    I had completely forgot about the free iPod promotion. I guess I will stick it out until mid August.

    Thanks guys :)
     

Share This Page