ANy Updates Soon? Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Prynce, May 31, 2011.

1. Prynce macrumors member

I was just pondering about holding off on buying new devices for my network, and it seems like the Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations or Time Machines might be due for an update shortly? What do you guys think, I know its not listed in the Mac Rumours Buyers Guide so no idea what MacRumours thinks....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't hold your breath for updates to either device. There's not much to update them to.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

I believe they updated the extreme in the fall of 2009 (that is when I bought mine), but I think they made it dual band or whatnot.

4. Prynce thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure they are capable of working good with an IMAC that has 3 antennas built in now as of 2011?

5. Prynce thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... "to buy or not to buy", that is the question that preoccupies me today. I guess I can wait a little more longer and see.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What exactly are you expecting an upgrade to entail? As Miles said, there's nothing for them to add at this point.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. They have been 3 stream for nearly 2 years now.

8. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I was wondering the same thing. I want one but seems mighty pricey for a router that came out 2 years ago. I am all about paying a premium for getting Apple products but not old ones for a huge price unless I can find one on craigslist for cheap.

9. haushinka macrumors newbie

thunderbolt ports.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

AirPrint and AirPlay (playing library stored on the AirDisk) would be a start. And while I am not holding my breath, QoS is long overdue.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All that could be done in software if Apple wanted to but they probably won't for various reasons.

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

If only you had waited a day with this comment.

Be careful or you'll get a lame mod warning about "not contributing to the post".

14. Prynce thread starter macrumors member

The events and comments of this thread are now highly amusing and bordering on hysterically funny. :D

15. gmans46 macrumors regular

yea i was following the thread because i wanted an aiport extreme for college I just thought it was comical because everyone shut him down and I was just almost like screw it ill get one now but i guess ill wait.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... I think you misudnerstand the definition of "rumor." I don't see any official word that either device will be updated. Do you?

Even if they are updated, it won't matter. Apple's networking products are great for those who want the dumbed-down version of the real thing and/or don't feel like configuring anything beyond the power cord.

17. Prynce thread starter macrumors member

miles, by now you should know rumours on front page of macrumours tend to have some bit of truth, and its now being reinforced with details of changes that might happen, but I guess we'll see after WWDC because I've seen changes of their products not happen till a few weeks after wwdc.

18. haushinka macrumors newbie

i like how miles gets defensive about looking silly.