Any updates to the Airport Extreme???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ftaok, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Airport Extreme is getting updated anytime soon. The Macrumors buyer's guide doesn't have info for the routers.

My problem is that my 7 year old Netgear router may have S*** the bed. Wireless and wired speeds on this thing are really slow. I've done multiple speed tests and it tops out at 768 kbps. When I plug right into the cable modem, I'm getting 15 Mbps. WOW!!!! Comcast has really upgraded.

I really would like to buy something nice for when we do get some 11n devices and the Extreme fits the bill. But I'd be upset if they come out with something that has new features.

Thanks

2. SqB macrumors 6502

They just got a hardware update a few weeks ago to include simultaneous dual band. Probably won't be any more updates for awhile. Buy them up, you'll love them.

3. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

I thought that the dual band feature happened back in February? Or is this something new?

Either way, I'm just trying to decide whether I go with a cheap 11g router or go whole-hog with the AirExtreme.

thanks

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Doubtful they'll integrate anything ground breaking. It's already 802.11n, has gigabit ethernet, USB port and dual band. If they implement anything, my guess is it will be firmware based and that can be updated.