Any use for an iMac with a dead logic board?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gravyboat, Jun 28, 2007.

1. gravyboat macrumors member

My girlfriend just got the bad news from an Apple tech- the logic board is shot on an iMac iSight that's 1.5 years old without Applecare (yes, yes, I know). They quoted $925 or so to have it fixed at the store. There are places that'll do it for $5-600 but they only offer a 6 month warranty.

Since fixing it doesn't seem to make sense financially, is the only option selling it for parts? I'm trying to get a sense of what it might sell for but I'm unable to post a "feeler" on the Marketplace forum due to being a newbie.

Thank you for any suggestions or feedback.

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

You did pay for it with a credit card that doubled the manufacturer's warranty, right?
    :cool:
    Post it on line. There could be someone with a blown monitor who is looking for yours...

3. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Hi Sherman,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'll check on the credit card warranty tomorrow (I bought it for her with an Amazon Visa).

I was hesitant to post it online (Craigslist, etc) without having a general sense of what would be reasonable. I'd prefer to avoid eBay, but maybe that's the only way to really determine the price.

4. D ROCK macrumors regular

what are the specs on the iMac?
    I might be interested....

5. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Hi D ROCK,

It's a 20" iSight model with 1 gb ram (512 third party Samsung ram added). Purchased 11/05 through Amazon. The screen is perfect, no scratches. I can provide more details when I get home.