Any users left Google Chrome for Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klmaj, Jul 25, 2012.

1. klmaj macrumors member

Hi all.

I've been using a mac mini for years with a large monitor and been happy with Google Chrome but oh my how things changed when I got my Macbook Pro yesterday and discovered gestures.

Safari for me seems so slick and smooth, whilst Google Chrome displays and renders websites in a choppy manner. Thus I've decided to jump ship and go to Safari.

Now I have some reservations as its alien to me. I'm also not used to being plagued with adverts. I'd like to hear from those people who went back to Safari after Chrome? What are the pros/cons?

Kind regards.

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I've moved back and forth between the two. I prefer Safari, but the older Safari just wasn't as fast as Chrome for me. Moved back to Safari when i got the 5.2 beta and haven't looked back. I love Reading List, and now Share Sheets too much to switch back. Plus, Safari is speedy again now. :D

3. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

"Snappier"

:p

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I use Chrome ONLY when I need a little dose of Flash; otherwise I use Safari.

5. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

Same here. I also quit using Firefox about 2 months ago.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I had switched to Chrome sometime around the Snow Leopard launch, IIRC. Safari had just slowed down too much for me, and was being really annoying in a few ways. Now, Chrome is doing that, and since I can't seem to find the cause, I've switched back and so far I'm really liking Safari 6.

jW

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. I left Safari after years of service to use Chrome. Both browsers perform quite well for me and I like them both. The tipping point for me was the ability of Chrome to sync my Gmail, bookmarks and browser settings between OS X and Windows 7. That makes all the difference for me. If Chrome didn't do that, I'd still use Safari.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I left Safari a while back when it was hogging my memory and slowing the system down
    Turned to Chrome and really liked it

A short while back, Chrome was frustrating me a little and I went back to Safari
    I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised
    I was even able to get all of the extensions I needed as well (not many)

The new Safari 6 for Lion seems even better for me

I still use them both on occasion (I keep Chrome open with work tabs)
    But I rarely if ever turn to Firefox, it just isn't even in the same league any more IMO

9. klmaj thread starter macrumors member

The one that works on mountain lion blew me away. Its so slick, I love it. I noticed it renderes images so much better than Chrome. Its silky smooth and very very responsive. It gives me the whole of the laptop screen to engage in a browsing experience, bloody winner mate! Winner!:apple:

10. mmduluth macrumors regular

11. newagemac macrumors 68020

Just started using Safari 6. Holy CRAP this browser is fast. :eek:

12. kaielement, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

kaielement macrumors 65816

Was a huge fan of FireFox for until recently when I couldn't check my email. I would go to the page and the log in worked I see new mail but I couldn click all day and it would never go to the page with the email. So I started using Safari. I did use Chrome for a bit. I would try to do things and I kept running into issues where the website would tell me to use internet explorer (and using a Mac you know we can't and would never use internet explorer lol) or sometimes tell me to try FireFox. So I ditched Chrome. Plus (and I don't know if this was me) Chrome never seem to load all that fast which is sad. I like google for the most part. Love gmail and use google.com all the time. But not chrome to buggy and glitchy. Just my thoughts.

13. klmaj thread starter macrumors member

Now we just need some killer extensions and SAFARI rules. I love this reader feature too. Now I find myself actually reading articles and not just scanning them.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is already quite a few extensions available for Safari. Is there something you need that isn't in there already?

15. klmaj thread starter macrumors member

Yup I need something to clean up gmail. I'm used to a very clean interface. Thats my number 1 priority. I've installed Ad Block plus already and the gmail alerts.

16. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

No. I switched to Chrome when it came out and haven't found a reason to go back.

Having a browser that goes from fast to slow to fast to slow with each different version got on my nerves.