Any users of Nik Complete and Lightroom3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by qveda, Aug 29, 2010.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I'm using CS5 and LR3. I currently am not using any plugins, and although the power of CS5 and LR3 is amazing, I hear from users of Nik that their suite of plugins (Dfine, Viveza, SilverFX etc, and the forthcoming HDReFex) really add value. Users seem very enthusiastic.

I like to go for one suite with a common interface, rather than cherry pick from many different vendors. Strongly considering the Nik Complete Collection for Lightroom (can't afford the Collection for CS5).

How do you like it? what are its strongest and weakest features?

2. mlblacy macrumors 6502

I use NIK with Aperture...

NIK is incredible. 95% of my imaging is done in Aperture & NIK, and it has made a huge difference in my workflow. PShop is now for layers, anything with type & final conversion to CMYK. I have the whole suite, as it gets cheaper the more you buy. Can't help with LR, but I am sure the functionality is similar.
    I only bought the suite plug-ins for Aperture, and did not spring for both (it would have been a waste anyway).
    cheers,
    michael

3. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I have used Silver EFx Pro - it's definitely a better alternative to LR3's greyscaling and gives you a lot more flexibility. Check out LR Killer Tips video podcast which compares the two.

I think LR3's noise reduction is unreal, so that may eliminate the need for Dfine.

The cost for the complete collection is pretty staggering. Honestly I think it's really compelling if you are a pro - my friend who's a wedding/event photographer cannot live without SFXPro, but other people who shoot only in color wouldn't need it. I'd just download the demos - I imagine you'll probably only be interested in one or two out of the 5 (or 6).

4. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear you like the LR3 noise reduction. I also called Nik and now i have a better understanding of the workflow.

I would start with LR3 noise red. since NR is usually best done right at the beginning. then I would do as much with the RAW file in LR3 before using any NIK plugins. Once the Nik plugin is opened, you no longer are using the RAW file. So there are essentially multiple workflows, first a LR3 workflow, then a Nik workflow, then perhaps a little more in LR3 and perhaps finishing with CS5.

So even though the Collection is a great price, I would probably only use a few of the plugins because I really like working with the RAW file in LR3.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

I use Color EFex Pro and Silver EFex Pro extensively. Love them both (esp. the film simulations).

6. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

That's because LR3's editing is all non-destructive, but once you start using other programs, that isn't always the case. If I were you, I would do as much as you can in LR3 before sending your photos out to external applications.