Any uses for a redundant time capsule?

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi Folks,

Odd question perhaps, I've just updated my time capsule to a 2TB ac refurb from a 500GB n model (flat white square one).

Other than selling it, I was wondering what other uses there may be for it in my network? I've got a MacBook Pro, New Mac Pro, various iPhones and iPads etc.

I was thinking of using it solely for backing up my Mac Pro via ethernet but was wondering if it could also act as a signal extender or something? Not really sure just looking for ideas, thanks!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im not too familiar with the capabilities of the older gen TCs, but I do believe you can set them up as a network range extender for other TCs. It should be an option in the airport utilities. I dont know what the limitations are for a TC working as a range extender, but I would look more for a way to integrate that into my network as an NAS.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I use my old 2TB TC as a backup to my TimeMachine backup. I set the computer (s) TimeMachine to alternate between the two destinations. Dunno how that would work with only 500GB, perhaps you only do this for one computer... or pick up a 2TB USB drive, I think those have been selling are less than $80.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks, I'll look into that.
It can easily act as an extender, but if your network is fine as it is in terms of coverage and speed at far corners of your building/home then all the Extreme would do is slow down the network, add complexity, and cause interference. You always want as little signal noise as possible!