Any uses for a redundant time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DiScO197, Apr 11, 2014.

1. DiScO197 macrumors regular

Hi Folks,

Odd question perhaps, I've just updated my time capsule to a 2TB ac refurb from a 500GB n model (flat white square one).

Other than selling it, I was wondering what other uses there may be for it in my network? I've got a MacBook Pro, New Mac Pro, various iPhones and iPads etc.

I was thinking of using it solely for backing up my Mac Pro via ethernet but was wondering if it could also act as a signal extender or something? Not really sure just looking for ideas, thanks!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im not too familiar with the capabilities of the older gen TCs, but I do believe you can set them up as a network range extender for other TCs. It should be an option in the airport utilities. I dont know what the limitations are for a TC working as a range extender, but I would look more for a way to integrate that into my network as an NAS.

3. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I use my old 2TB TC as a backup to my TimeMachine backup. I set the computer (s) TimeMachine to alternate between the two destinations. Dunno how that would work with only 500GB, perhaps you only do this for one computer... or pick up a 2TB USB drive, I think those have been selling are less than $80.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It can easily act as an extender, but if your network is fine as it is in terms of coverage and speed at far corners of your building/home then all the Extreme would do is slow down the network, add complexity, and cause interference. You always want as little signal noise as possible!