Any uses for an old lime Imac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tezzamacuser, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tezzamacuser macrumors member

So I have an Imac G3 slot loader that was given to me a couple of years ago its running with its original harddrive (A whopping 7gig) a 350mhz processor and 192mb of ram. Its running osx 10.2.8 it has just been sat around for years not really doing much I currently have it set up in my guest bedroom as a DVD player. It plays dvd's wonderfully and the CRT display is crystal clear. I'd love to revive this machine and make it more useful but I don't know where to start. I know its usefullness will be very limited being nearly 13years old I even considered selling it to a collector until I realised it still not worth that much even with all its original packaging. Any ideas on what to do with this old behemoth?

2. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I have a special edition translucent gray iMac. I hook it up to a amplifier that connects to outdoor speakers. We use it as a jukebox during get togethers and parties. :)

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'd say just leave it, especially since you have the original packaging. Because when they are finally worth something, you'll be regretting that you did try and do something with it and no longer have a mint working unit to sell. That's how I see it anyway.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-i would take osx off of it and run mac os 9.2 and classilla web browser you could use it for simple web browsing...also mac os would be fine for using as dvd player

-if you have or can find cheap...you could upgrade ram to max 1 gig sdram (pc 100 or 133)...also the old 7 gig harddrive is slow and finding a 3.5" ide newer and bigger hd would be helpful...the ram will be easy to change,the harddrive takes some effort.

5. Tezzamacuser thread starter macrumors member

I like the idea of putting mac os 9 on it. Where on earth would I get a copy of it here in england lol?

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Use it as a jukebox or an FTP server after you upgrade the hard drive.

7. Tezzamacuser thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking that but like has been said its got all its original packaging and manuals the only thing thats missing is its install disks. I like the idea of putting os 9 on it I have it set up in my guest room which is green and it looks quite nice. The only known fault with it is that the internal memory battery has died so it loses the time when you turn it off.

8. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I don't know about in England, but copies of OS 9 show up frequently on eBay over here.

I would second the recommendation as a jukebox. I've heard that they have really good speakers. Even if you install OS 9, there is a version of iTunes that will still work on it.

9. Tezzamacuser thread starter macrumors member

I agree the speakers on these machines are brilliant. I may set it up in my kitchen as a jukebox I dont really want to mess with its harddrive tho as I'd like to keep it original as possible. Someone kindly linked me a BT for a retail copy of os 9.

10. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

If you ever run short on HDD space, you could always get an external. If you are just using it to play music, even a larger capacity flash drive may do for you.

11. Tezzamacuser thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I was planning on doing. Im on the look out for another mac now too eithe an Imac G4 late spec. An Imac G5 or a Powermac G4-G5