Any validity to this WD hard drive complaint/observation?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Buzzworms, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

I bought a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM HD that I have yet to install in my MacBook 1.1. I found the following review on the Newegg site. Accurate or not?

"It should be noted that this drive doesn't work very well with MacBooks and/or Macs in general. I didn't do much research on this product before purchasing it, my mistake. It turns out that some Western Digital Scorpio Black drives have a problem with an OS X battery saving feature. This means that the drive will spin up more often than not, causing load/unload cycles to spike. This causes something like a "clunk" sound every 10-20 seconds. These excessive load/unload cycles can cause premature failure of the drive and very noticeable noise. I also noticed, aside from this noise every 10-20 seconds, the drive was just generally loud. This could just be because it's 7200RPM and I had a 5400rpm drive before and I wasn't used to the faster drive, but it was the equivalent of my MacBooks fans on at 70% (4000rpm). Other than the noise issue and the possible early failure rate, this drive was great. It was noticeably faster than the 5400rpm drive."

2. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

I know it's a problem with some newer MacBooks with newer Scorpio Blue drives, like 500gb and 640gb. I have the current MB Pro and a 640 scorpio blue and this problem occurs. I get around it by using hdapm. It's a shame it comes to that but at least I can use my drive properly. As for the scorpio blacks, they might well have the same problem, but I can't say first hand.

3. Jay S. macrumors newbie

I am using a scorpio blue 500gb HDD and have no issues whatsoever. This is in a late 2009 unibody white MB.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2007 macbook and the 320gig scorpio black. I've had no problems whatsoever, it is a really nice drive. Was a little noisy at first (or maybe I just noticed it more) but now it is silent, and apart from a slight vibration (due to the 7200rpms) I wouldn't know it was there.

It is noticeably faster than the blue (my previous drive) and given my macbook a spring in it's step. :)

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I installed this exact drive in my first gen May '06 MacBook. It worked great. I have since moved it to my 5,1 Aluminum MacBook and still no problems.

6. Buzzworms thread starter macrumors member

Buzzworms

7. lyons238 macrumors 6502

many drives have this problem. you may not even notice it until you look at your load cycle count and if it's high after only a short period of time you most likely have this problem.