Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
I have a late 2009 27" iMac with 16gb ram, i5 processor.... The graphics card started to fail (or so apple told me). Rather then put money into an older machine, I bought a new one today. My question is, is an older iMac worth anything? If so where would I sell it?

Another thought I had was maybe I could use it as a second monitor, but then I remembered the failing graphics card. I guess I could repair it if it could be used as a second monitor or as a primary with a Mac Pro. Thoughts?

khedden

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Charleston, SC
I have a late 2009 27" iMac with 16gb ram, i5 processor.... The graphics card started to fail (or so apple told me). Rather then put money into an older machine, I bought a new one today. My question is, is an older iMac worth anything? If so where would I sell it?

Another thought I had was maybe I could use it as a second monitor, but then I remembered the failing graphics card. I guess I could repair it if it could be used as a second monitor or as a primary with a Mac Pro. Thoughts?

Sure, it's still worth something. Not much, but something.

A 24" 2008 iMac with a failed GPU sold on ebay for $142. So yours is probably worth something in that neighborhood: $150-$200.

Best place to sell used computers is on eBay or craigslist.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I would recommend the Marketplace forum here, but you need a certain number of posts before you can put something up there for sale. I want to say it's 50 posts.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I was able to sell my old 2006 MBP on Craigslist pretty quickly (inside a week as I recall). The screen was shot and it didn't even boot up, but the guy was just interested in the parts and I got $160 for it. Chances are good that if you live in a sizable metro area there is someone (hobbyist or otherwise) that is interested in your old machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.