Any Verizon FIOS customers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jb60606, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I emailed Verizon about this, though, have yet to receive an answer.

I tried to sign up for the service but it's says that i'm not eligible. Now, I know next to nothing about network communication medium, but does anyone know if i'm ineligible because I live in a skyscraper? I assume installation would entail wiring FO cabling from the ground floor (or wherever it enters the building) up to my apartment? We have category 5e wiring installed behind our walls, but I don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's first up to your local government. Have they signed a franchise agreement with Verizon to allow them to sell FiOS in your neighborhood (basically Verizon pays them to let them sell FiOS in your area)? If yes, then next up is your property manager. They would have to allow Verizon to come in and wire the building for FiOS.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, that makes sense. I know our mayor has been pushing for city-wide WiFi (Chicago is a finalist for the 2016 Olympics and he's convinced WiFi is a major selling point). I doubt he'd let Verizon interfere. And AT&T has a stranglehold on Chicago - only a few pay-phones here and there bare the Verizon logo.

People don't seem to have a problem getting FIOS in the suburbs, though. Go figure.

Thanks

5. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it stable/reliable? I was an early adopter of both DSL and Cable back in the day (anyone remember Telocity DSL or when Comcast only offered cable downloads; requiring the use of the phone line for uploads?). I recall them being down more often than up. Hopefully things have changed.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1) Cat5 no workie for getting FIOS into bldg.... :p

2) FIOS retrofit/install in skyscraper = muchomuchomucho deniro! :)

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Indeed.

I've got a 20 down/5 up FiOS line at my parents' house. It's very fast.