Any Verizon switching deals?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm looking to switch to a Verizon iPhone ASAP. However, I bought an iPhone 4 when they were first released, meaning I have about 11 months left on my AT&T contract.

Does anybody know of Verizon running any deals to basically pay off the ETF if you switch? I think my ETF is almost $200, so it's a pretty big deal. I'm pretty much resigned to waiting for the iPhone that will be released about this time next year, but every time I try to make a call from home I get tired of wondering how long it will be before the call drops.

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

you could probably sell your current iphone for about $300 or so. that takes care of your ETF and gives you a head start on a new iphone from verizon. i dont see verizon picking up any of your at&t ETF, unfortunately

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Verizon will not pay your ETF.

Verizon, like AT&T, makes money from contracts. Voluntarily paying your termination would show that Verizon supports early termination - and they don't.

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Not sure it will work for AT&T, but I had the same issue with Verizon. I've always had good phone service with Verizon until we moved to our new house. In our area, the Verizon phone signal is so weak, our batteries would drain in hours from looking for signal. Voice quality was affected, and dropped calls always occurs in our location. I attempted to call Verizon customer service with my Verizon phone. When I got through I told the person that I needed them to call me back on home phone in case it drops, and that batteries won't last. First off, they could tell the voice quality was breaking... And it didn't take long for it to drop the call. Anyhow, Verizon knew about the lack of coverage in our area, and the Manager called us back to see if we wanted to try a new phone, and to say that there are plans to upgrade the area. I said we need our phones to work now in our location, and she allowed my wife and I to cancel our contract with no ETF.

If you can prove to AT&T that you have poor coverage in your area like we did, you would think they would drop the ETF... but they are 2 different companies. I was very happy on how Verizon handled the issue... and that's why I am still a Verizon customer for 3G/4G LTE data only. But I'm very happy with AT&T phone/data coverage in our location.

5. kdog005 macrumors member

I'm an RSM for Verizon and I've never heard of a case where Verizon will pay for your ETF. About the only way to get out of your ETF is if the service provider cannot provide you with service at your place of residence. At which point they can zero out your account and allow you to switch to a provider that can.

And as far as any "deals" are concerned, Verizon very rarely will make any with the iPhone due to the fact that Verizon makes almost no money off of the iPhone as opposed to any other handset as far as activation commission is concerned. Which is why you'll see countless promotions such as BOGO on Droids, but nothing on iPhones.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Prior to true smartphones, I do remember when carriers would compete by offering to pay off the ETF of your current carrier if you switched and signed a contract with them. However, smartphones are extremely expensive right now (as well as the ETF) so such deals would not be profitable.

7. seanman236 macrumors newbie

verizon exchange program

If you go onto verizon's website there is an exchange program for phones. If you take advantage of that they will buy back an AT&T iPhone 4 for 200-250 dollars. You must set it up online and ship it to them and then you receive a credit for you next verizon bill for that amount. You will have to pay your AT&T etf, but then most of that money will be reimbursed on your next verizon bill(s). That's a decent amount of money less than you would get if sold it yourself on ebay, but its a bit more hassle free if you are not ebay savvy (like myself)

hope this helps.

8. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

@erayser I was wondering if it would be the same myself. But my neighbors have Verizon and they say they haven't had any signal issues. So I figure that's about the best research I can do.

@kdog I think in the past I have heard of some companies, maybe not wireless, paying for such things. Like I'm pretty sure I've seen car commercials for places that would pay off the rest of certain car loans if you buy one of their new ones. I figured it was a longshot since Verizon would probably advertise the heck out of it.

@seanman Figures that I would check yours LAST. I found the trade-in link. It appraised my iPhone at $250! Now I just have to decide whether I want to do this or wait for the iPhone 6 and give this phone to my mom. She has my 3GS. It still works, but I know an iPhone 4 would be easier to read. I'll definitely wait until the iPhone 5 comes out because I don't want to be out $250 (probably what it would cost me for a 32GB Verizon iPhone 4) for the same exact phone.

Thanks for the advice, all.

9. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502