Any vestiges of OS9 left?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MrAndy1369, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MrAndy1369 Guest

I know this may sound like a random question, but are there any vestiges of OS9 left in Mac OSX Lion? For example, fonts/icons/interfaces hidden way into the OS. I know OSX dropped Classic support in Leopard, but there are a very few things I notice that seem to still be lurking around from the OS9 days, such as the black spinning ball that appears next to the pointer when surfing some webpages (Firefox). Obviously, the UI has been completely changed from OS9, but there may be one or two elements still left, and/or a hidden app that uses the OS9 interface.

Any input would be appreciated, and again, I know this is kind of a strange question, haha.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Geez, you may be the world's first computer archaeologist! :D

Some of the stuff you mention used to be contained in the resource forks of files (remember ResEdit?); some might have been re-used. I seem to remember seeing that wristwatch recently....

But I'd say the Finder is a big leftover from OS 9 and even much earlier. It's a total dinosaur: dragging to trash to eject volumes; volumes and directories looking and acting similar; limited preview of files; desktops/folders; no copy/paste of files; the dock...bleh. I swear Spaces is a step back to MultiFinder, only worse :mad:

But no, I don't know of any hidden app that transports you back to the computer equivalent of mullets and tube sox.

Rob

3. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources.

You'll need to right click on CoreTypes.bundle and select "Show Package Contents" to get inside it. As of 10.6.8, there's still quite a few Mac OS 9 icons sitting around. Kind of shocking how colourful some of them are, actually, considering how soulless 10.7 is in that regard.

PS: Don't modify anything in there, you could hose your system.

-SC

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Oh wow, thats really neat! I've always wondered where that huge Graphite G4 icon came from.