iPhone Any video except for camera footage won't play...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fonstomhoy, May 11, 2013.

1. fonstomhoy macrumors newbie

First of all, this is my first post here so hey everyone.

I have an iPhone 5 JBed with 6.1.2 and everything has worked fine until now.

For some reason, as the title states, any video I'll try to play online, that would normally work on an iOS device simply won't play. Instead there's only a play button with a line crossing it...

Even when trying to play videos in iFile, the video player will open up, show an error message and then close...

I've tried resetting (home button + power button) but that hasn't fixed the issue. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to have to restore to vanilla.

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

does this include youtube videos via safari and/or the youtube app?

3. fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

none, playback error in youtube.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

boot up your device holding the volume up button, this will essentially disable all your tweaks. see if you are able to play videos now (in youtube or wherever)

5. fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

youtube works (browser and app), and HTML5 video does as well. locally saved videos that I can confirm are not corrupt still don't play.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I am confused. In your title, you say locally saved videos work but now you say they don't work?

If you can watch video when booting up in safe mode (holding volume up), then it is a tweak. Uninstall any tweaks you think might be related (and respring after each uninstallation) until the problem is fixed. In that way, you can find out the offending tweak

7. fontsomhoy1, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion, when I say locally saved I'm referring to video files that I've manually downloaded off the web.

EDIT: I've scoured through Cydia uninstalling any tweaks I installed after the problem occurred (and respringing) but it hasn't fixed anything

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Did uninstalling tweaks help fix being able to watch youtube and html5 videos? What format are these downloaded videos?

9. fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

Nope, the videos are mp4s and movs, they played before.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

If you're able to play the videos with mobile substrate disabled, then it is definitely a tweak causing this

11. fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

so you're saying I should temporarily disable mobile substrate?

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I'm saying that you haven't uninstalled the offending tweak(s)

13. fontsomhoy1, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

fontsomhoy1 macrumors newbie

Oh OK. Played around to see which tweak was causing the problem and did a restart. videos seem to work well save for in iFile. I'm going to try reinstalling iFile as that may be the issue

EDIT: Aha! I tried moving the video files to a different folder and now they're playable in iFile. Strange.