Any wat to get/send iPhone sms via mac screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LobsterMan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. LobsterMan macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I get allot for text messages to my iPhone while sitting in front of my mac. Is there any way I can have them appear on my mac screen, so that I don't have to fiddle with my phone while in front of a large screen and keyboard?

2. LobsterMan thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't help if the person is sending me a SMS message, doesn't have an iPhone/doesnt have google voice...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

SMS to Google voice numbers behave exactly as normal SMSs, so I don't really know what you're talking about. It seems like you don't really understand how GV works. You should look into it... it gives you pretty much exactly what you want.

4. LobsterMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Dude, If I knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't be asking here, would I.
    Sadly, google voice doesn't support my mobile operator, which is also the one my wife uses. Also, this doesn't help if people send messages to my regular number.
    I know this is pretty much close to impossible, but I'd appreciate any creative ideas

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're not in the US, GV isn't an option. If you are in the US there are no carrier restrictions.

The idea is that you use your GV number instead of your regular one.
    If someone suggests something closer to what you want than iMessage or GV, I'd be interested as well. Haven't found anything closer for several years though.

6. smellalot macrumors 6502

Isn't this feature coming in iOS6/ML? I think I read somewhere that incoming SMS messages show up in Messages on your Mac. I assume you could also reply that way.

7. mopatops, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

It sounds like you're thinking of the ability to reccieve iMessages to your Mac via your mobile number instead of just email address. It still only works with iMessage though, not SMS.

I too am hoping this is implemented in a future release! I'd guess it'd require the phone to forward SMS messages via a wifi network to the Mac and back again when sending.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

Oh that's a bummer. It would make perfect sense. Even forward through 3G. The data used by an iMessage is basically nothing!

I think we will see this at some point.

9. MontanaFlyFish macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I text all the time through my MBP & Jailbroken iPhone. It mirrors my iPhone 4s's sms screen. Check it out...I think this is what you want and will love it! I know I do. I hate getting texts iPhone (which might be in another room, I hear my phone chime) while I'm on my computer in my office. I simply open up my browser and see my texts that are on my iPhone. Watch this YouTube video..this guy explains how it works. I LOVE IT! Hope this helps...
    Ronnie
    How to Send/Receive Text Messages from Computer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWAZEPKcMxU