Any way around carrying my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Juxe, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Juxe macrumors newbie

I have to take my 20' G5 iMac to the genius bar today because the logic board failed the other day. Of course with my luck, the serial # does fall within the range of a free replacement extension program.... but the 3 years is up. Anyways, I'm going to bring it into the genius bar anyways and see what they say, but I don't really want to haul a huge 20' heavy iMac through the streets of downtown SF. I know for sure that I don't have the original box, but how big would a box need to be to carry one? I know the dimensions of the shipping is 27.4x25.7x10, but thats with keyboard, mouse, foam, etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to package an iMac?

2. NiroNavro macrumors regular

iLugger: http://www.ilugger.com

This should make it very easy for you. This company is very reputable and favorable amongst iMac owners.

3. Juxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to spend $130 when I'll probably just have to replace the iMac anyways. Maybe I will just have to look like a "dorkator" for a few hours today.

4. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

If you have a large rolling suitcase, that would do the trick. Just stick it in there with some kind of padding. Unless you plan to drop it down some stairs, I think that wrapping it with some towels would do unless you have something better: bubble wrap, those annoying foam peanuts, etc.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

A box or handled box from UPS store or U-Haul (if you can find them) Would work just fine. Just wrap it in bubble and put it in the box.

[​IMG]

Also, maybe a small luggage carrier and bungie with it in the box always works. Sure you may look dorkish but if it saves on the arms then who cares.

6. Juxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! at last a solution! the iMac isn't too heavy, so I think it should be fine.

If I'm going in cause my computer won't start, do I need to bring my power cord and everything?