Any way for an iPhone to mount a network drive?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Substance, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Substance macrumors newbie

Substance

Pretty straightforward question I think. If I'm on a wi-fi network and I have an external hard drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme, can I mount that drive through the iPhone?

I've looked at airsharing, dropbox, mobileme, sugarsync, and none fit my needs. I just wanted to be able to view files stored on an external hard drive through my iPhone, not store them on the iPhone, not edit them, just drill through a file system.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is no option available. But it would be a shame since it seems pretty simple and could have a lot of benefits. I understand the reasoning behind why Apple prevents access to the iPhone file system, buy why prevent access to other hard drives on the network?

2. Jemil macrumors newbie

Same Query!

I'm looking for the exact same thing! So bump... Hope someone can find a solution for this!
    Oh and i just remembereed: Does jailbreaking the device solve the problem?

3. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

4. Jemil macrumors newbie

I will now!

Thanks! I'll check it out. Not sure if it's possible to connect to a wireless harddrive though.... But it seems more than well worth a try! :)

5. Substance thread starter macrumors newbie

Substance

Had not heard of it, but it looks like it will do the job. But at $15, whew that's pricey!

However, from the "Customers also bought" section I see a product called iExplorer that sounds like it can do the same thing. It's only $5 but it's rating is only 2-2/12 stars (depending on version).

There's also iStorage, which I'm even less sure of.

Finally there's Downloader, which just does what it says. Doesn't help me at all with my problem but could be very useful in of itself.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling dsampley!

6. Jemil macrumors newbie

7. Substance thread starter macrumors newbie

Substance

I ended up going with EZShare Pro (not EZ Share, different app) and it does everything I need...and more! Thanks for the recommendation dsampley.

There is a free trial, just called EZShare, on the app store. I downloaded that first and gave it a trial. It lets you connect to drives and such, but you can't open any files. Once I knew it did what I wanted, I bought it immediately. Interestingly as an in-app purchase it only cost $10 to upgrade to the pro version instead of the usual $15.99. Try the free version first and see if you can still get the discounted rate.