Any way for ff to save files to separate temp directory instead of desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabre364, Aug 18, 2008.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

I'm not talking about files I want to download and save to desktop, documents, etc.

I mean just viewing, say a pdf, with the 'open with'. In windows, it would still have to download but it would be in a temp file that is hidden away, while on my mbp it dumps it to the desktop.

It gets even worse when I view the same document a couple of different times, I end up having doc, doc-1, doc-2, etc on my desktop creating a mess.

Any way to get ff to dump to a separate directory for temp files instead of the desktop. I understand safari can open pdfs in the browser and have no need for a download like preview does.

What options do I have? Safari just doesn't have the functionality that firefox can with its plugins and extensions.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, go set it in preferences to either ask for a location to store things or point it to a directory of your choosing.

3. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

Seems to me thats for files I select download. Mine has it set, ask me where to save files when downloading.

When you click 'open', it still dumps to desktop before opening.

Though I think I just found a plugin for ff that lets it open in the browser (thus bypassing the need to download to the desktop for preview - it still downloads, but to a temp file).

Plugin is called 'PDF download' and seems to be working so far.