Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hello,

I've switched to an AMD card, from a GTX 1060, and I've realized that Windows is too stupid to recognize the card via HDMI (which is the only video connection I have handy right now), until I've installed the new card's drivers. Bottom line is that I cannot see anything, so I am unable to remove the old NVIDIA drivers and install the AMD ones (thus allowing me to receive a picture).

Would it be possible to apply the drivers to the Windows disk, from Mac OSX? I'd like to remove the NVIDIA drivers and inject the AMD ones. My last resort would be buying a DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapter, since it's likely that DVI would give me a signal regardless; however, I'd rather not do that if I can simply prepare the Bootcamp drive remotely.

Thanks,
MDD

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Really? That's weird. Are you using the latest Fall Creators Update build 1709? It showed picture over HDMI on my Vega before I installed the drivers, so I don't see why Polaris wouldn't.

Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello,

I've switched to an AMD card, from a GTX 1060, and I've realized that Windows is too stupid to recognize the card via HDMI (which is the only video connection I have handy right now), until I've installed the new card's drivers. Bottom line is that I cannot see anything, so I am unable to remove the old NVIDIA drivers and install the AMD ones (thus allowing me to receive a picture).

Would it be possible to apply the drivers to the Windows disk, from Mac OSX? I'd like to remove the NVIDIA drivers and inject the AMD ones. My last resort would be buying a DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapter, since it's likely that DVI would give me a signal regardless; however, I'd rather not do that if I can simply prepare the Bootcamp drive remotely.

Thanks,
MDD

It is possible, but not recommended.

At least you can install Parallel, so that boot your bootcamp partition inside MacOS and then install the AMD driver via Parallel.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014

At least you can install Parallel, so that boot your bootcamp partition inside MacOS and then install the AMD driver via Parallel.

Do you mean Parallels Desktop? I was thinking that I could maybe remotely install the driver; and, I believe that what you're saying would actually be the answer. If I install Parallels, can I simply select my existing Bootcamp disk as the boot device?
[doublepost=1508834577][/doublepost]

I think I would definitely try this; although, a friend of mine agreed to let me borrow his DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapter. So, I might be in the clear. IICR, DVI will work with a driver-less video card. HDMI has issues until the driver has been installed. When my 1060 was new, the same thing happened; but, at the time, I had a monitor which used DVI, so I had no problem switching over to it. (Needless to say, I no longer have that DVI monitor
handy.)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you mean Parallels Desktop? I was thinking that I could maybe remotely install the driver; and, I believe that what you're saying would actually be the answer. If I install Parallels, can I simply select my existing Bootcamp disk as the boot device?
[doublepost=1508834577][/doublepost]

I think I would definitely try this; although, a friend of mine agreed to let me borrow his DVI-HDMI/HDMI-DVI adapter. So, I might be in the clear. IICR, DVI will work with a driver-less video card. HDMI has issues until the driver has been installed. When my 1060 was new, the same thing happened; but, at the time, I had a monitor which used DVI, so I had no problem switching over to it. (Needless to say, I no longer have that DVI monitor
handy.)

Yes, it's one of the selling point of Parallel Desktop. It can "share use" your Bootcamp partition inside MacOS. However, it also increase the chance that to screw up your Bootcamp partition.
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 00.01.16.jpg

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Yes, it's one of the selling point of Parallel Desktop. It can "share use" your Bootcamp partition inside MacOS. However, it also increase the chance that to screw up your Bootcamp partition.
View attachment 727093

Thanks - I actually was able to borrow a DVI cable and then temporarily use that GT 120, while the AMD card was also in the Mac Pro, to install the drivers.

HOWEVER, I have a new issue now: when I take the GT 120 out, I get no picture at all with the RX 580. The GT 120 (albeit not connected to any display) needs to be in there with the RX 580, in order for the RX 580 to display anything. Do you know how I can fix this?

EDIT: found out that it's what happens when Windows automatically installs the GT 120 drivers - it confuses my new card and causes it not to work unless the NVIDIA card is paired with it. I went and uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers that had automatically been installed; however, after shutting down, removing it, and then booting, I still got a black screen.... which leads me to believe that, after having un-installed the NVIDIA drivers, I should have re-installed the AMD ones. Perhaps that would have been a sort of cleansing for it. What a shame. Now, I have to borrow that DVI adapter again or buy my own. What a shame. And, of course, I don't even know if doing that re-installation of the AMD drivers would have worked, because I now have no way of going back to test it my hypothesis. (Or, I just go with Parallels...)

Last edited:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
View attachment 727093

Just tried Parallels, and it says I don't have disk permissions for my [separate] Bootcamp drive. I tried Paragon, which is supposed to give custom access to NTFS drives, under OSX, but it still doesn't work.
[doublepost=1508914243][/doublepost]
Really? That's weird. Are you using the latest Fall Creators Update build 1709? It showed picture over HDMI on my Vega before I installed the drivers, so I don't see why Polaris wouldn't.

No, I am on Windows 7. That could be the reason why it's not showing up. Anyway, I was able to borrow a DVI cable and temporarily use my GT 120 (whilst having the AMD card headless) to install the AMD drivers...

ONLY, I realized how badly GT 120 drivers conflict with newer cards. I went and uninstalled the GT 120 driver, but I think I should have re-installed the AMD driver (because, although the GT 120 driver had then been erased, perhaps I still needed to install the AMD driver again, for good measure). Now, I would need to borrow the DVI cable again (which is gonna start really annoying my roommate).
[doublepost=1508915438][/doublepost]I'm gonna go buy an adapter and try one more time with the GT 120. I'll then uninstall the drivers for the 120, re-install the AMD ones, and then see if that works. I feel that my having not re-installed the AMD ones was an issue.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That makes sense. I experienced issues with my HD 5870 installed with my RX Vega. The AMD drivers for the Vega would not install with the 5870 installed. The installer gave the error hardware not found.

vetruvian

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2013
Just tried Parallels, and it says I don't have disk permissions for my [separate] Bootcamp drive. I tried Paragon, which is supposed to give custom access to NTFS drives, under OSX, but it still doesn't work.
[doublepost=1508914243][/doublepost]

No, I am on Windows 7. That could be the reason why it's not showing up. Anyway, I was able to borrow a DVI cable and temporarily use my GT 120 (whilst having the AMD card headless) to install the AMD drivers...

ONLY, I realized how badly GT 120 drivers conflict with newer cards. I went and uninstalled the GT 120 driver, but I think I should have re-installed the AMD driver (because, although the GT 120 driver had then been erased, perhaps I still needed to install the AMD driver again, for good measure). Now, I would need to borrow the DVI cable again (which is gonna start really annoying my roommate).
[doublepost=1508915438][/doublepost]I'm gonna go buy an adapter and try one more time with the GT 120. I'll then uninstall the drivers for the 120, re-install the AMD ones, and then see if that works. I feel that my having not re-installed the AMD ones was an issue.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
That makes sense. I experienced issues with my HD 5870 installed with my RX Vega. The AMD drivers for the Vega would not install with the 5870 installed. The installer gave the error hardware not found.

Actually, I found that my machine's issue is different: the RX 580 won't work without the presence of the GT 120. If I take the GT 120 out or uninstall its drivers, the RX 580 doesn't work.

I think, in general, Win 7 is too old for this card (even though the OS is supported by AMD). So, I'm gonna have to cleanly install Win 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.