Any way to add music directly on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by drunken0monkey, May 11, 2010.

1. drunken0monkey macrumors member

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I'm wondering if there is any way to download and add music to the iTunes app directly on the iPhone without using a computer at all (also without using the iTunes store app). Is this something that is completely locked down by Apple and no one knows the iTunes DB formats etc.?

Thanks

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Without a computer AND without the built-in app? That's a tall order. I don't think there are any apps that can do it, at least not without jailbreaking. And, last I heard, jailbreaking requires a computer, which would obviate your dilemma.

One of the main problems is the lack of a navigable filesystem in iPhone OS. You can connect to a network, but you can't "browse" a share and/or copy files to the iPhone.

3. drunken0monkey thread starter macrumors member

Fair answer. Let me clarify, my phone is jailbroken. What I mean by no computer is no computer (or iTunes app) used for the process of downloading and adding a song to the phone.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not exactly the desired answer, but you could use an app such as Spotify etc to listen to music. Just a thought.

5. drunken0monkey thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the answer but you're right, it does not solve my problem.

I'm often on the go and need to download music on the phone directly (no access to a computer) from my friend's server (he's an aspiring producer and such). I currently do this by just downloading the song and using iFile to play it back which works, but it's a little clunky. I still need to transfer it to my laptop later, add to iTunes, sync back to iPhone and delete from iFile download location. Just typing that out sounds asinine and makes me want to grab Steve Jobs by the collar and ask why Steve, why (to be clear, I understand why and it's a sound business strategy for Apple but it frustrates me to no end)!!

6. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

you can download torrents onto your phone. its a bit clunky but it works.

7. himni macrumors regular

8. tnisatard macrumors 6502

9. himni macrumors regular

If you mean Pwntunes there are none that I know of. You can still sync with iTunes.

10. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

What about "dtunes"' it's one of the cydia featured pkgs. I haven't tried it but it sounds like that's what it does.

11. drunken0monkey thread starter macrumors member

12. drunken0monkey thread starter macrumors member

I've tried dtunes and it looks like it keeps it's own database of songs and has a player so no different than my current solution of safari downloads and ifile playback.

13. himni macrumors regular

I got it and used it and it is really nice. They are still adding features too. It allows you to access all of your synced music with the original file names (not the goofy crap apple turns it into when it puts in on your device) and you can use your phone as a thumb drive PnP on windows vista and 7.

14. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I have asked this question before and there might be a future solution to this as I understand your dilemma but from what I understand the iTunes file that says "send to iPod DB" is very hard to manipulate and another problem would be the entirety of the song and getting the actual version. I have used dTunes and it took me three tries to get the right Bohemian Rhapsody file to listen to. This new software they are saying might work, I do not have cash to purchase it with, but from what I understand: no there is no possible way, *AS OF THIS MOMENT* to do what you are asking. I propose you look a using Safari Download Manager and downloading torrents from a website you can trust, and using the dTunes program to play them, this way you dont have to locate them constantly. This atleast will get you on a faster track. I suggest, on your computer, that you download a torrent music engine such as FrostWire, not LimeWire as it contains many scams, and since FrostWire is iTunes compatable just download the songs onto your computer once you get to it, and just delete em via SSH or iFile, this atleast takes some hassle out of it.

Naethyn

Frostwire is located at http://frostwire.com

15. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I was about to pay for Pwntunes, but it looks pretty confusing to setup. I really just want an app that will convert Youtube to MP3 and add it to the player. That'd be perfect.