Any way to change airport regional lock?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by antonmelnikov, Nov 25, 2013.

1. antonmelnikov macrumors newbie

i bought a certified russian edition Airport TC'13 and it looks like beamforming and 80 MHz channel bandwidths are regionaly locked due to stupid laws.. so the transmit rate doesnt go up more than 400mbps. is there any way to download a us or europe version firmware to unlock it?:confused:

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

What does Apple say? Do a chat with them in English as they might not want to help violate local laws.

3. antonmelnikov, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean us store support?

then can't find a 'start chat' page..only a phone call support

4. priitv8, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Doesn't AirPort Utility let you select country in Wireless options for your 5th Gen model?
    On my 4th Gen german model, I have all European countries listed, Russia included:

PS I've never noticed that AirPort basestations had country-specific firmware versions!
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1998

Attached Files:

5. antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I wonder what would happen, if you connected it to network via European/US/UK VPN Proxy (just like you fake your Geo-IP for Netflix and such) for the time of setting it up? I imagine it is determining your location from your IP address.

PS Just to make sure: does clicking this drop-down list whilst holding down the Alt key by any chance produce an extended list (like it does for radio channel selection lists)?

7. anthonymelnikov macrumors newbie

nope=] already tried this..

about faking the ip.. try that but no big hopes:eek:

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I still don't believe they have country-specific firmware versions.
    But they might filter config restrictions based on the model- or serial number as well. If that's the case, you're doomed. Sell it and get one from EU.

9. antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

well I've got a really interesting answer from russian suport=]

they said I can choose Azerbaijan in country list as it has no limits in WiFi regulations..and I'll got the beamforming and full efficiency. the other interesting thing is they said that max transmit rate can be reached is 600.. while I have 400 with choosen Russia. really interesting, because as they say on the store page Azerbaijan included to countries with restrictions

so the following question - what transmit rate do you have on ac? (alt+click wifi icon)?

10. antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

well I've got a really interesting answer from russian suport=]

they said I can choose Azerbaijan in country list as it has no limits in WiFi regulations..and I'll got the beamforming and full efficiency. the other interesting thing is they said that max transmit rate can be reached is 600mbps.. while I have 400mbps with choosen Russia. really interesting, because as they say on the store page Azerbaijan included to countries with restrictions

so the following question - what transmit rate do you have on ac? (alt+click wifi icon)?

btw! no mention about rectriction in Israel.. gotta try this when come back home

11. priitv8, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Last time I checked on my friend's 2013 MBA it was 867 Mbps (that's because MBA still has only 2x2:2 MIMO @ 80MHz channel width).
    [​IMG]

12. antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

that makes sence..thus mine really working on 40 mhz.

do you have anything about beamforming specs?

13. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure I understand, what specs are you looking for?
    [​IMG]

14. antonmelnikov thread starter macrumors newbie

something abouit its restrictions.. or availability on different freqs

15. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Never come across such specs on the net. But I haven't particularly searched either.