Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
I often work with Terminal-generated plain-text files that don't have any extension. By default, these always open with TextEdit, but I want to change the default app. Yes, I've tried the regular way (Get Info->Choose the new app->Change All), and no, it doesn't work. Does anybody know how, or even if, this can be done? I have RCDefaultApp, but I can't find an entry that'll change it. :(

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I don't know the easy answer to your question, but how about adding extensions to the files as you create them (.txt or whatever), then the traditional way of telling them to open with a certain app will work.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
spinne1 said:
I don't know the easy answer to your question, but how about adding extensions to the files as you create them (.txt or whatever), then the traditional way of telling them to open with a certain app will work.

Well, if you wanted to be logical about it you could see it that way... ;) Thanks for the insight. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.