Any Way to Circumvent the 8 Gift Card Limit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caliber26, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've been planning on upgrading to a new MBP and this year I asked my family to give me Apple gift cards for my birthday instead of other gifts. Between my family and friends, I received a total of 11 gift cards. So I finally tried to place my order last night and immediately learned of the 8 gift card limit when ordering online, on the phone, or in the store. I went into my Apple Store today and asked if they could somehow combine my gift cards and they told me no.

I'm not sure why there's a limit but what I am trying to do is find out if there's a way to work around this. Gift cards cannot be returned so it's not like I can have them return the cards and give me cash instead (plus I would feel like such a douche to even ask them to do that). I also don't want to try to sell my gift cards because I know I won't get their full value and I need as much of that money as I can get. Has anyone ever ran into a situation like this before or know of a possible solution?

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I would go into the store and try to buy it. At that point, it's their problem to figure out. That is ludicrous

3. justinmartin macrumors newbie

If they are $100 each - take 8 of them into a store, buy an iPad or something. Then return it the next day - they will most likely just return it to a single gift card - especially if you go during a busy period. I had purchased a few things with 2 or 3 gift cards and received a single card back when i returned the items.

4. gbears98, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

gbears98 macrumors newbie

gbears98

You can take your apple gift cards and have them consolidated at an apple store. I have done this before with 7 gift cards into one big one so I could buy a new customized macbook pro at the apple online store and I have also used 13 amex gift cards in store to purchase a single apple gift card in store.

Good luck buying your MBP!

5. Caliber26 thread starter macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Thanks for the replies! I went to a different store and they were able to accept all of my gift cards for the purchase with no problem. According to the manager I spoke with, the limit is only towards online or phone purchases but they can accept more than 8 at the store.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

Buy them at different stores, don't just stick with Apple :)