Any way to "close all" open Apps with multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PatriotInvasion, Aug 4, 2010.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I feel like when I have a lot of open Apps, I'm unnecessarily using battery life. I then have to close all open Apps individually. Is there any way to kill all open Apps with one punch?

Also, are open Apps draining battery life in the background?

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I believe if you power off the phone, it will reset the apps.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Ha. Not a great solution, but thanks. It's quicker to close all individually.:D

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

In 90% of cases, no they are not. They only use power if they are playing audio, using the GPS, using VOIP, or completing a task (for 10 minutes max).

Other than these few cases, it probably uses more battery to restart the phone than it does to just leave the apps in the background. In fact in most cases it probably uses less battery to resume a suspended app than it does to start it fresh after being quit.

6. Tu13es macrumors regular

Short answer is no (unless they are using background tasks such as VoIP, audio, location, etc).

Great article discussing Fast App Switching here:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11378

7. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Good to know. Maybe my paranoia around open Apps will cease based on this info.:p

8. huskerchad macrumors regular

People have to get over the idea of that "Recent Apps" list is a task manager or list of running apps. It's not. Some of them may still be running--and if so, it's because the developer intended them to and specifically coded against the necessary API.

Run-of-the mill apps are NOT running just because you see them in that list.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to know that a particular app is still using resources or not.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

'

Even when app are in the quick switch they are NOT running, just don't worry about it.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Hopefully this thread will have the same effect on me. So far, I've been insanely anal about closing stuff up after I'm done using it. My home button is gonna fall off from double clicking it so much. lol.