Any way to combine two files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Oct 13, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I was downloading a TV show as a torrent and tried to move the folder the file was downloading to. It appeared to work, but I later found out that it moved what I had so far of the file, and continued to download the part I didn't have to the old location. The download completed and the majority of the file, which is in the original location, won't play. The beginning of the file, which I moved, will play, though it's incomplete. They are both .avi's. This is probably a long shot, but is there any way to put them together to make a whole .avi that plays from beginning to end?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Assuming the downloads are entirely legal:

Open each file in TextEdit, making sure it's in 'Plain Text' mode (if it isn't in Plain Text mode, you'll get a toolbar along the top with centre justify, lists etc...).

Then copy the contents of the file (Command + A and Command + C) you moved into a new text file (may take a while, loads of stuff to process). Then open the '2nd' part of the downloaded file, and add this to the end of the new file you created. Save the file as anything, as long as it has the right extension, (such as .AVI), and it *should* work perfectly.

3. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounded like a promising suggestion, except textedit crashes every time I try it... first it crashed while trying to copy the bigger file, then it crashed when trying to paste it.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

2 things you can try. Download Perian, and install it. Then try to play both files in Quicktime. If they both play, here is what you do.

You have Movie1 (the first part) and Movie2 (the second part), open them bith in Quicktime, but don't play them.

Move the progress bar on Movie1 all the way to end, but don't press play since that will jump it back to the beginning.

On Movie2, if you move your cursor just below the progress bar you will see two little bookend looking things. Move the right one all the way to the far right end of the progress bar, notice how it changed to a darker color?

Now, click and hold on the actual viewing area, and drag it to the viewing area of Movie1. This should combine the two files. Now just do a save as, and you should be done.

*It is entirely possible that this is only possible with Quicktime Pro.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Torrents do not download as contiguous files. You may have bits of the beginning, end, and various part of the middle. You interrupted that process. There is probably no way to undo it.

6. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

One file played, but just the first few minutes, the other one didn't at all, though it claimed to be full size. I ended up just redownloading the whole thing, didn't take that long. Thanks for the suggestions though.