Any way to completely disable substitutions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by therealseebs, May 1, 2011.

1. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

So, I find the text substitution feature annoying, and I've turned it off ALMOST completely.

The only app I use that I know actually uses Snow Leopard's substitutions is Adium X. I don't have any other apps that I know to use these, so I can't test whether it's Adium or OS X doing this, but...

When I type two hyphens, they get turned into an emdash. This might be a great feature in some strange parallel universe where an emdash was the decrement operator in C. It's not a great feature in this universe. However, I can't find this substitution in the language/text preference pane, nor can I find it in Adium's settings... I'm stumped.

ETA: I created a substitution rule "--" to "--", and that's made it stop, but it does not sit well with me for OS X to have no way at all to disable this feature.

2. therealseebs thread starter macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Turns out I can right-click on the text field and disable "Smart Dashes". How I was supposed to know to right-click on a text field instead of using preferences, I can't guess. I also have no idea whether this will work in other apps. Whee.

3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Did you try turning them off via the Language and Text preference pane?

mt