Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
If I'm idle for about 1-2 minutes my screen gets dim. I understand why this would happen on a notebook, but this is a desktop machine :mad:

Anyway, is there some way to fix this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
On my G5 iMac the option is in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, under the Options title and listed as Automatically Reduce The Brightness Of The Display... Unchecking this should stop it dimming. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
On my G5 iMac the option is in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, under the Options title and listed as Automatically Reduce The Brightness Of The Display... Unchecking this should stop it dimming. :)

That, and you might also want to adjust the length of time before your display goes to sleep.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 116

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
He's talking about how the display dims slightly after a couple of minutes.

It's annoying, yes. I'm sure it increased the longevity of the display though.

I don't know how to change it... someone should make a hack that fixes it.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
tab1xa.png

Just uncheck Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep (exactly as mad jew says above). You'll need to make sure you click Show Details on the "Energy Saver" options screen to get this option. It works as expected here.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
see but i'm not the only one, you can look at the official mac forum and this problem is a plague

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
DevilsRejection said:
see but i'm not the only one, you can look at the official mac forum and this problem is a plague

Do you have a mouse connected to your computer? The plague was transferred through rodents.

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Seems like a common problem on the Intel iMacs. One of the few I should add.

The solution appears to be to tick the option to dim the screen, close System Preferences. Then open it up again and untick the option.

The screen will stay bright until it sleeps, but the dimming will be back after the next system startup/reboot.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
y0zza said:
The solution appears to be to tick the option to dim the screen, close System Preferences. Then open it up again and untick the option.

Tried that, it doesn't work.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Ok I clicked the lock in the energy saver menu so the settings can't be changed, then I rebooted, I will edit this post to see if my issues are fixed 100% or not.

edit: DAMMIT guess the lock doesn't do anything! oh well, i have a partial answer atleast, i shouldn't reboot hehe

edit: hmmm my lock was open when going to the energy saver menu, weird.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
DevilsRejection said:
by "fixed" you mean you still have the issue?

On 10.4.4, toggling the option on then back off did not fix it. However, you just reported success so something may have changed since.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Nermal said:
On 10.4.4, toggling the option on then back off did not fix it. However, you just reported success so something may have changed since.

yes but rebooting screwed it up again

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
DevilsRejection said:
can i too? how would one go about this?

If you do, it'll just get marked as a duplicate (I expect that mine will too, I certainly won't be the first to have reported it).

You need to be a registered developer to get into the bug reporting system, since you don't know about it I suspect that you're not a developer :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.