Any way to do a clean install without losing texts, etc?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jigzaw, Sep 17, 2014.

1. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I've always heard the clean install is best, but I am not prepared to wipe all my text messages, Notes, voice memos, etc. There just doesn't seem to be any manual way to save all these things. In fact, even though I got the 5S a year ago, because I did it as a new phone, I've wound up keeping my old 4S just so that I can still have all my texts (4 years of texts) and data etc. Apple just seems to assume that we don't want to keep that stuff.

2. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

No... that's the point of a clean install. Clean.

3. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

This.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iBackupBot can do selective and partial restores.

5. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Is it possible to save my wifi connections that I don't have to enter each password over again?

6. jigzaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course. Would just be nice to have some way of at least storing my old texts as readable files or something. This being impossible kind of leaves me in a position of never getting to do clean installs.

7. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

as far as I am aware, it is currently not compatible yet with iOS 8 backups (it prompts erros when loading the backups)

8. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Your Mac should save them

9. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I clean install is best for Windows. I've been using the same install of OS X for 7 years now with no problems. Same goes with iOS. This is Unix we're talking about, NOT windows. If you notice a clean installing making iOS or OS X faster, it's because it's deleted an app,service, or setting that you could have just done yourself to speed up your system.

10. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

I do this every release. You make an unencrypted iTunes backup first. Do a clean install. Make another backup and replace the files in question. Restore to that backup.

Or wait for a jailbreak.

11. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

What file would I be looking for to replace back the pictures and the text messages? Brilliant idea.

12. killerbeans macrumors newbie

13. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

This guide has the exact files and such:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-t...ages-only-to-iphone-itunes-without-jailbreak/

Despite my original post, I didn't do this for iOS7, just used iCloud backup. Should still work, although i've only ever done this with SMS messages but the process is the same for others, you should be able to google the files for memos, e.g.

14. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

What about if you delete everything from your phone except the messages and then restore that when you get your new phone?

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

I was in the same position as you and I used "DiscAid" a few days ago that worked perfectly. I used it to move my text messages and some handpicked games cuz i wanted to keep their game score. I think the program has the option to backup Notes and voice memos too but Notes are already stored in the iCloud anyway and voice memos can easily be transfered using itunes? After the restore i just set up the phone as new and used DiscAid to drag & drop those apps and text messages back on the phone.

I had 2GB free after i restored from back up, setting it up as new and synching everything back from scratch gave me 7GB of free space all of the sudden so it was really worth it