Any way to do a "wired" internet connection?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hakr100, Apr 19, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Two of the places I frequently visit do not have wi-fi available. The only access is via plugging into a router with a Cat 5 cable. Works quite well with my laptop, which has a network receptacle.

But what do you do if you want to connect with your iPad? There's no 3G "out there.

There doesn't seem to be a network adapter that plugs into the iPad's port...or is there?

Thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think there's a way to do what you're doing. However, if you have a laptop that you can plug in, you can setup Internet Sharing and create a WiFi hotspot (password protected) using your laptop's wifi card.

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was hoping to start leaving my laptop at home. A lot of hotels, even good hotels, don't have wi-fi in the rooms, but they do have a wired internet point of presence in every room. If I can't use an iPad under those circumstances, there's just no reason for me to get one.

4. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I don't know if there is a way to directly get wired ethernet connection on to your iPad. I think probably not. But, one pricey solution is this:

Buy an Apple AirPort Express, a very small wifi router about the size of your palm. It will plug into the wired ethernet and broadcast wifi signal.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - This would be about the same price as paying for 3 months of 3G service, so it will balance out in the long run :) HERE is the Amazon link..$94 free shipping.

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now there is an idea...thanks!

7. wasabinuki macrumors newbie

One solution to the iPad lacking an RJ-45 port is to buy a travel router. These are just 1 port routers that take a wired (and sometimes wireless) Internet signal, and rebroadcast it as a new personal Wi-Fi network. Having a personal router also increased the security of your device and data (as long as you use encryption with the new wi-fi network). If you search Amazon you will find quite few that range from $99 to $23. A good choice to use with the iPad is the ZuniConnect since it features a USB charging port that works with iPad, but is a little on the expensive side.

8. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

D-Link DAP-1350 Wireless N Pocket Router and AP

I travel often and have encountered the same wired-only issue. I got a D-Link Wireless N Pocket Router & Access Point (model DAP-1350). It is tiny (the power brick is bigger than the router) and comes in a handy case that also includes an Ethernet cable. I found this at Walmart of all places.

When I first got the router, I set up a network using WPA security and "Visibility" off (i.e. no SSID broadcast), so no one can even see the network. I tested it on both my iPad 2 and my iPod Touch. When I get to a hotel, I just plug in the router, connect it to the hotel's wired connection and voila, wireless in my room!

One thing I especially like about this router is that it can be configured over the wireless connection. So if I have to change the settings or if it somehow gets reset, I can just use my iPad's browser to work on it. I put the PDF manual on my iPad in case I need it.