Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finchna

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2002
I've heard it suggested that the Mac Mini might be used as a digital media center. However, I can't figure out how it would drive the 30" monitor--which, to me, is about the smallest size to put into such a home system. Any ideas or alternatives?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The 30 inch screen is a much higher resolution than televisions so when people say they'd use it for a media centre, they mean with a lower resolution but ultimately larger screen which is less trying on the mini's tiny GPU.

Sorry, but unless you plug a PowerBook or Power mac into the mini, it ain't gonna happen. :(

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
*if* you really need to run a 30" acd with a mac mini you can do it at 1280x800 which will look fine but it'd be best just not to. $500 computer+$3k display=what's the point

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I have to agree. There are cheaper LCD TVs with integrated tuners. With the Mac Mini you're going to have:

$500 mac mini
$3k 30" Apple Cinema Display, which wont even be able to run at full res
$300 on an EyeTV to watch TV

The costs will mount up. I even doubt that the next mac mini will run the 30"... we'll just have to wait and see.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
If you want to spend some $$$ anyway... buy a decent HD Plasms screen like 42" the res is lower than the 30"... but its very good for computer use & tv use... any 'normal' plasma screen will be **** because you need higer res to be able to use the computer functionallity from the Mac mini

a lot of those HD TV screens have DVI or HDMI input so or direct or with an adaptor you can plug the Mac mini into it & make it work...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't see why people think they can use a cheap ass computer like the Mini to do so much.

Its like people who whine about not having this feature or that feature in the Mini......well, you just paid $500 for a computer that kicks ass.

And if you want to run a 30" Apple Cinema Display, you're dreaming. You can run a tv though. If that is what you're after, then great. However, I think people have only been dreaming up different ways of using the Mini (ie: put it in the car, beside the tv, etc) while its not really a specialty product. Its main role is still as a general Apple computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.