Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
From this thread, it appears that Android phones have the option to set the preference. Any way to do this with an iPhone? I've already enabled WiFi Calling, and it works great when the signal strength drops to 2 bars or so, but I'd like to use it whenever I have adequate WiFi, regardless of network strength.

Help?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont think there is such tweak currently.
Who is your carrier? AT&T or Verizon?
Another way of doing that is putting the phone in airplane mode and turning wifi on.
It will stay on wifi calling and every text and call will come in using wifi.
I hate how some carriers have it setup like that.
It doesn't make sense.
I'm connected to strong and fast wifi, I rather stick with wifi calling and switch to carrier network only when I'm out and away from wifi.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
The worst is when it is constantly switching back and forth during a call. At my office my wifi is strong but the cell signal isn't steady so it wants to keep switching back and forth when the cell signal comes and goes. Very annoying.

Wouldn't putting your phone in airplane mode make it so it won't receive SMS messages, only iMessage?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The worst is when it is constantly switching back and forth during a call. At my office my wifi is strong but the cell signal isn't steady so it wants to keep switching back and forth when the cell signal comes and goes. Very annoying.

Wouldn't putting your phone in airplane mode make it so it won't receive SMS messages, only iMessage?
WiFi calling works for calls and messages (not even counting iMessages which simply use data anyway).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

No.
Everything will come in as normal with wifi calling and airplane mode including texts, calls and iMessages.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
From this thread, it appears that Android phones have the option to set the preference. Any way to do this with an iPhone? I've already enabled WiFi Calling, and it works great when the signal strength drops to 2 bars or so, but I'd like to use it whenever I have adequate WiFi, regardless of network strength.

Help?

I'd love to be able to do this as well. I have a T-Mobile and an AT&T iPhone, and between the two T-Mobile did the WiFi calling 100% right. AT&T blundered as usual. With T-Mobile, the phone prioritizes wifi calling. You can be on 5 bars sitting on top of a cell tower, and it'll still use wifi calling before cellular.

Why is this good? Because WiFi calling has about 1/4th the latency (assuming you're on good internet) of cellular calling. Might not seem like much, say 9 ms via cable modem vs 30 ms on a cell connection, but it makes a huuuuuuge difference in call quality. Feels like talking on a landline, clear, true full duplex, it's like having a conversation in person.

I would LOVE to be able to force my ATT phone to go wifi first, cellular second. If anyone has figured a way to do it without turning off cellular, please share!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
That's a good question and makes sense that you asked it in the JB section.
Hope they is a way for a JB hack to enable such feature for AT&T and Verizon consumers that would like not having to keep putting their phone in airplane mode on and off to stay connected to wifi calling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.