Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

got556

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
To preface, I have an iPhone 4 GSM that was given to me by my aunt in HI. She found it at an old rental she owns and the previous owner could not be contacted as he was a deadbeat she had evicted him. He trashed the place and in the midst of cleaning it up, she found this 4. So fast forward about 3 years and she comes to the mainland to visit and hands me this phone. Explains the story and knows I like messing with phones so she said, it's yours, do what you will.

This thing is trashed, scuffs on the front, the back glass is shattered but still holding together, red dirt throughout all the cracks.

So today I finally get around to playing with it. It's blacklisted on AT&T and the only sim I have laying around is a nano T-Mobile inactive and a bunch of nano VZW for the phones I use (need to get a sim adapter).

I decide to put it on 7.1.2 and hactivate it. It was unbelievably slow. So at that point I decide to geekgrade 6.1.2 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak and hactivate. Only issue being that it's on 6.1.2 and it's semi tethered.

Is there any way to get it to 6.1.3? I've been looking for hours and tried stitching a custom IPSW through sn0wbreeze after using rep7 or whatever for DFU pwned and a patched 11.2 iTunes. No luck. I'm guessing since I don't have a blob, I don't have a chance. I would try it with 11.0 iTunes but it was raining hell trying to get it installed on a Win 10 system. Tried compatibility, admin, blah blah blah, nothing.

So again I ask, is 6.1.3 possible on a GSM iPhone 4? If you read this much already, I applaud you as the TL:DR crowd will not appreciate this.

got556

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Have a GSM iPhone 4 3.1 thus Geekgrade only goes to 6.1.2 for that model. If I could get to 6.1.3 I could use p0isospwn or whatever as it works for 6.1.3 and then I won't be tethered. Geekgrade is what I have on it now.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
It seems like a lot of work. I would be tempted instead to simply sell my current iP4 and purchase another off of eBay already running 6.1.3
They can be bought for about $40. give or take and you then don't need to worry about booting it up each time it's turned off and I'd think the original firmware would be more stable. By the time you sell you iPhone and purchase exactly the one you want, you might be into it for less than $15.

got556

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
It seems like a lot of work. I would be tempted instead to simply sell my current iP4 and purchase another off of eBay already running 6.1.3
They can be bought for about $40. give or take and you then don't need to worry about booting it up each time it's turned off and I'd think the original firmware would be more stable. By the time you sell you iPhone and purchase exactly the one you want, you might be into it for less than $15.

I do this for fun. Nothing serious, just to test and have fun with. This phone is blacklisted on AT&T so I'm not going to sell it to anyone as it may be blacklisted on other carriers. I have considered it and even thought about getting a 4S. I'm supposed to be meeting a guy sometime soon to grab a 3GS. I don't know why, but I want all of the iPhone designs as a personal collection. I don't care that they are in mint condition, just that they work. Don't even need the box as I have no plans on re-selling. Wish I would have kept the 6 and 6+ b/c those are going to be a tough pill to swallow if I do indeed expand this collection lol.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I get it. Thanks for the explanation. I too have a single of each iPhone since the beginning. For awhile I'd also collect rare iOS iPhones- those iPhone with and iOS version that was only available for an extremely limited time. (Examples within my collection: Original iPhone with iOS1.0 Also an iPhone 5 with 8.2beta or an iP4 with 4.1)
Enjoy! Sounds like fun.

Reactions: got556

got556

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
^Jealous lol. I need to get an iPhone "2G" ASAP. Still wish we could stuff the internals of a 6S into it, just for nostalgic sake. Whip out a 2G with 9.3.1 on it....

Reactions: sunfire7

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
My dream iPhone: Original iPhone exterior yet with retina display and SE internals running iOS2.

Or, iPhone2G internals running 9.3 on an iPhone6S (just to torture myself).

Reactions: got556
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.