Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Looking around online there doesn't seem to be an option. But a lot of articles and guides are pretty dated. So I was wondering if there has been any way to use my monitor (dell u2515h) and my samsung HDTV as a second always connected display.

I tried daisy chaining off of the Dell, but that didn't work.

Are there any options out there?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Another thread discussed this a couple days ago.

On my 2011 the only way was USB adapter. I had high latency with mouse movements, etc. Not a great experience Might be better to you with USB 3.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Another way to do it is using a Matrox DualHead 2 Go

DH2goDP_setup_Macbook_open_med.jpg

They are like $150 though

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
And yet another way is a Thunderbolt dock combined with another daisy chainable Thunderbolt device.
Run one monitor off the HDMI of the Thunderbolt dock and the other off the daisy chaining port of the other Thunderbolt device.

DisplayPort daisy chaining off the Dell should work under Windows - but only if you can accept mirrored screens.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
And yet another way is a Thunderbolt dock combined with another daisy chainable Thunderbolt device.
Run one monitor off the HDMI of the Thunderbolt dock and the other off the daisy chaining port of the other Thunderbolt device.

DisplayPort daisy chaining off the Dell should work under Windows - but only if you can accept mirrored screens.

So my Dell only has displayport out.

I ran thunderbolt out from mac to displyport in on monitor (for full monitor resolution 2560 x 1440) and tried to displayport out from the monitor to tv with a displayport to HDMI adapter but I couldn't get a signal. Reading around, I see that these older model MBPs won't allow for daisy chaining?

I would gladly use it as a mirrored screen if I could get it to work.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So my Dell only has displayport out.

I ran thunderbolt out from mac to displyport in on monitor (for full monitor resolution 2560 x 1440) and tried to displayport out from the monitor to tv with a displayport to HDMI adapter but I couldn't get a signal. Reading around, I see that these older model MBPs won't allow for daisy chaining?

I would gladly use it as a mirrored screen if I could get it to work.
- So there are a few things at play:

1) OS X does not support DisplayPort daisy chaining.
2) DisplayPort 1.1a which is in your Thunderbolt 1 port does not support daisy chaining (which requires DP 1.2/Thunderbolt 2).

If you eliminate obstacle number 1 by using Windows, I believe that should allow you to run a mirror from the Dell to the TV.
I have the same monitor, by the way, and have attempted the exact same thing. No luck at all in OS X, but I don't have Windows so I can't try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.