Any way to get iphone contacts/backup to Atrix 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SeanZy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

My mom just purchased the Atrix 4G, and the guys at Target (lol) assured her there was a way she could get the iphone backup content to her new phone.

Unless I am missing something there is no way to do this... or am I wrong?

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i would tell her to go to her provider, no offense but i dont consider the guys at target an authority on anything but cheap toiletries. phone companies have this sweet machine that can move contacts and pics between phones. although im not positive it will work for iphone

3. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah thats why I put the lol next to target.

I keep telling her it is impossible now (considering she turned the iphone in and no longer has it), and she keeps arguing me. Even though shes the one that cant figure out how to use email on an iphone lol

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Attached Files:

5. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

im not sure what provider the atrix is on but im on verizon and when i log into the verizon site i can save my contacts on the verizon site, then when i get a new phone i go back to the site and load them. thats how i got my contacts from my droid x to my iphone. im not sure if at&t has something similar

6. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there any way to do that gmail method with a backup?

I am running snow leopard on my mac... and that is where her iphone backup is. But I do not have the phone itself :/

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I'm curious to why she turned it in. Where did she turn it in and to whom?? I hope it wasn't target.

8. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I second this. That phone was hers, and she shouldn't have turned it in

9. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Target actually gave her 80 dollars towards her new phone when she turned her 8 gig 3G in... I know not the best (I use craigslist all the time), but there was no way I was going to try and sell it on craigslist in the condition it was in.

10. shelbymayer macrumors regular

Yes...go into your address book app on your computer...find her contact list...then export them as the person above directed...then log into her gmail account (if she has one...if not create her one...she'll need it for android market access anyways) then import her contact list...then have her sync her gmail account on the atrix and BOOM all her contacts will be DL to the phone...this is how I did it with mine and it took about 5 minutes! hope this helps! :)

11. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

See, her contacts are not coming up at all in address book. Do I need to put her restore on my iphone and then sync it and then go back to mine?

What a hassle -_-

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

EDIT: noticed you just posted that they're not in address book...looks like you'll need to back yours up, put her backup onto yours, sync her contacts over to address book, then do the gmail sync

for future refrence, you should always make sure your contacts are in address book on the computer, on the phone, and stored online with at least one account (I have all my contacts on my iPhone, my windows phone, synced to all of my computers, both mac and pc, with mobile me, and stored online with mobile me, gmail, and windows live. It'd be virtually impossible for me to ever lose my contacts)

13. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trust me, I would have done that had I known she was getting something other than an iphone. She said that she was getting an iPhone 4... and came back with an atrix lol

14. daSlamp macrumors newbie

No impossible. Easy 10 minute job.

Hey not to back up guys from target (because as an AT&T employee i see their screw ups all the time) but this can be done fairly painlessly. Google contacts is the best way to back up the contacts from itunes, and a free software from the motorola website called Motorola Media Link will transfer photos, music, or podcasts.

Hopefully this helps!

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You don't even need to use media link.
    If your contacts are stored in Google, they will be automatically added to the phone when you add your Google account to the phone.

16. mltaylor macrumors regular

I ported my contacts, from the address book in mac, to my gmail account and then those naturally synced ota. Although, you said the contacts are not in the address book...you never backed them up it sounds.