Any way to get my bookmarks back?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cgm707, May 28, 2012.

1. cgm707 macrumors member

Aaaargh, my bookmarks Safari, Chrome and Firefox are gone (don't ask).

Is there ANY way to retrieve these?

Thanks for any help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If we can't ask how they disappeared it makes it kinda hard to know if they can be recovered.

B

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Are they gone gone, or is the bookmarks bar gone?

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Did you sync Chrome with your gmail account? If so you should be able to resync. Did you use Sync in Firefox? Same thing if you did.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not within reach of a Mac at present but from memory Safari stores them in ~/Library/Application Support/Safari. You should be able to restore the file from your backup.

6. cgm707 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what I did to have my bookmarks gone. One thing I did do is run the Disk Utility. My Dashboard was reset to the default, my bookmarks and history are all gone.

I've checked all of the Library paths mentioned, and there are no bookmark files.

I'm not sure about syncing Chrome with my Gmail account.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I just sold my MBP in anticipation of the new release so I can't help you with file paths and such.

When you install Chrome one of the first things it asks is if you want to sign into your Gmail (Google) account so that it can sync all your preferences and bookmarks and a couple other things.

Go into Chrome preferences and see if you're logged in. If not try logging in (If you have a Gmail account) and set it up to sync everything. That won't help you if you never did it in the past but at least from now on you'll never lose your bookmarks or preferences.

Firefox also has a sync function now. Do the same thing there, if you use Firefox that is.

Also how about Time Machine? If you use Time Machine why not just restore Chrome from a couple days ago before you did whatever it was you did. Same with Safari.

8. cgm707 thread starter macrumors member

I finally got the Chrome bookmarks back by viewing the System files, and maneuvering to /Users/Apple/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default.

I use an external attached hard drive for most of my data, and seem to have a problem getting Time Machine to work.