Carrier Any way to get the "CDMA" model on iPhone Upgrade Program with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 9, 2016.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Kinda of a niche situation but I made a reservation last night via the iPhone Upgrade Program for a 7 Plus with AT&T service. I wanted to know if it was possible to get the Verizon/Sprint model when I go to pick it up since that device will be unlocked and will work with all carriers (both GSM & CDMA) whereas the standard AT&T/T-Mobile model will only work with GSM networks. Anyone know if this is possible?

2. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Knowing Apple I would say no

3. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

More than likely, you will have to wait until the no-SIM models are available at the end of the year & you will have to pay for the phone up front & in full.

4. pedzsan macrumors member

pedzsan

I toiled with this question as well. I have AT&T Next, discovered that the AT&T phone can't do all carriers and was trying to figure out what to do. I finally concluded this: for this particular phone, in 12 months, 99% chance is I will turn it in for the iPhone 8. As others have mentioned, it will be a 10th year edition. And 99% chance, I will stay with AT&T the whole 12 months. So I decided to not worry about it (at least not this year). Rumor has it that the new modems used in the AT&T models could support all the carriers so I'm hoping we won't have this dilemma next year.

5. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

I'm on AT&T and when I went to make my reservation, only Verizon models were available. It let me reserve one without issue. So hopefully it'll be ok? As long as they have stock... I guess we'll see what happens next week.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

It'd be helpful for people to report back what ends up happening when they try this. But my feeling is that you need an active plan (or sign up for a new plan) thay corresponds with the carrier you chose when selecting the phone.

I have a similar issue, in that I got a 6s Plus last year with my T-Mobile, but I have since moved overseas and no longer have that T-Mobile plan. The Apple Store app says that I am eligible to upgrade to iPhone 7 Plus, but I am skeptical about whether it'll work. I imagine it might be a problem if I try to check-out in person and I don't have an active T-Mobile plan.

7. AcesOverKings macrumors newbie

I enrolled in the program with last night's purchase, and as an AT&T customer, I was only able to select the GSM model. I tried to get a Verizon one, but was stopped when it asked for existing phone #, billing ZIP, and last 4 of SSN. It then tries to look up your wireless account, which, of course, I don't have with Verizon. But my rationale was the exact same as Pedzsan above. I can keep status quo for 1 year and by then, this modem BS should be resolved.

Edit: I wonder if, after receiving the phone at my house next Friday, I could return it to Apple as an exchange for the Verizon model??

8. bamafan33 macrumors newbie

I preordered using the iPhone Upgrade Program last night. I have ATT as my carrier but they were sold out of the phone I wanted so I selected Sprint. I'm hoping when I go to the Apple Store next week for my reservation I can still pickup my phone, but I'm worried they might not let me due to me picking a Sprint carrier phone for ATT even though it's unlocked.