Any way to go around iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by LCatGA, Feb 16, 2008.

1. LCatGA macrumors newbie

I'm a new ITouch user and in a last 7 hours I discovered what I absolutly hate iTunes - it still tries to import my 80,000 song library of MP3s. It took me 4 years t build it, importing my 5000+ CD collection and filtering out dobles, tagging it right, etc. I need a software which is good collection manager and works with ITouch :). Any suggestions or I should take my 32 Gb back to the CircutCity. Also is there any other player applications for it as I dislike interface for use in a moving car - position bar is too small, buttons can be bigger, etc

Thanks for any suggestions

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

even though this is a dubble post, il put it out there, as of now, no, i do wish there was one so i could drop XP forever, and go 100% linux..

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Songbird supports most iPods, and the touch will likely get support soon. Which platform are you on?

4. Tyris macrumors newbie

I dropped windows in 1997 for linux and have not gone back.

The ipod touch was my first apple product since 1984 (an apple IIe), both were birthday presents :). I was able to get the ipod touch working under linux with gtkpod for day to day syncing and music transfer.

I like the touch, neat device - though I use it much more as a web broswer and pda than a music player. I dont care for the itunes indexing and wish a port of XMMS was available and the touch could be used as a simple USB drive to copy files over.

Thankfully with jailbreak I was able to delete itunes store and youtube off the ipod thus removing some of the clutter on the springboard.

-T

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    HOW!!! Please share!

6. Tyris macrumors newbie

All the directions here assume you've got ssh handy, openssh running on your ipod, and that you know the ip address of your ipod touch. I cant provide any directions for windows ssh.

Also, remember <ipaddr of ipod> will translate to something like 192.168.0.102 or whatever, never include the greater than and less than signs.

From your mac or linux command prompt:
    ssh root@<ipaddr of ipod>

Then enter in the password (typically alpine).

type:
    pwd
    This will reveal where you are in the directory hierarchy. Mine defaults to /var/root

All the applications are located in /var/Applications, so we need to maneuver over to /var/Applications. Do the following (note it is case sensitive!, do not include the #, that is your prompt):

# cd /var/Applications

Once there, might as well look around:
    # ls -alrt

Mine showed:

total 0
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 374 Dec 14 20:26 DemoApp.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 816 Dec 14 20:48 MobileAddressBook.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 3128 Dec 14 20:50 Maps.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 1632 Dec 14 20:50 MobileCal.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 4012 Dec 14 20:51 MobileMusicPlayer.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 3808 Dec 14 20:51 MobileSafari.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 1326 Dec 14 20:51 MobileSlideShow.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 2312 Dec 14 20:51 MobileTimer.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 1938 Dec 14 20:51 Preferences.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 1258 Dec 14 20:52 Stocks.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 5236 Dec 14 20:52 Weather.app
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root wheel 714 Jan 31 11:40 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 238 Jan 31 12:13 Caissa.app
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 204 Jan 31 12:14 Stumbler.app
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 476 Feb 1 11:22 MACalc.app
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 816 Feb 1 15:43 Installer.app
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 612 Feb 1 15:58 Tetromino.app
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 238 Feb 5 12:42 Term-vt100.app
    drwxrwxr-x 19 root admin 646 Feb 5 12:42 .

You can see the new apps I've installed in bold.

The ones dated Dec 14 are the old apps. I've purged a bunch I had no use for.

For example, to delete the itunes, look for something called MobileStore.app or some such. Determine if you really want to purge this application, because once you remove it you'll need to do a full restore to get them back.

If you despise DRM music as much as I do and want to continue then:
    # rm -rf MobileStore.app

I also had little use for MIM.app, MobileMail.app MobileNotes.app and YouTube.app, so the same pattern follows:

# rm -rf MIM.app
    # rm -rf MobileMail.app
    # rm -rf MobileNotes.app
    # rm -rf YouTube.app

Obviously the above list of commands is an example of what I did, you must determine which apps to purge based on your own judgment.

Once you're done purging all the trash from ipod touch, you'll need to reload and refresh the springboard.

I found the fastest way was to:
    # killall SpringBoard

Now, logout of your ssh session cleanly:
    # exit

You should be left with a cleaned up springboard. Hope that works out for you. Let me know if there are any questions.

-T

7. beemerin macrumors newbie

you can try winamp... but good luck... just deal with it

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

wow, thanks for the super helpfull post, but my question was more of how did you get to sync songs without itunes?

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Why is iTunes automatically trying to import music from your drive? I've never had that problem. You will, of course, need to keep music in iTunes if you want to easily move it onto your iPT. In case there was some kind of confusion, iTunes DOES NOT add DRM to music that you import. Nor does it prevent you from playing your mp3/AAC/mp4/whatever in any other program that can play those formats (i.e. Winamp or VLC can still look through your iTunes music folder and play those files).

10. Tyris macrumors newbie

Removing mobilestore does not affect syncing of songs.

There is a linux program called GTKPod which copies the files over and generates the same screwey indexing that itunes does. I use this to sync songs.

I have uninstalled itunes from my work laptop, and just use gtkpod on my linux laptop.

I've come to the conclusion the ipod touch is a neat device, despite apple's attempts at lockin and proprietary sync tools. It would be worthless to me without jailbreak, except as a webbrowser.

-T

11. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't understand the OPs problem?? You have 80,000 songs that you have imported, and organized, tagged etc.

So just Uncheck the "Keep Music Folder Organized" option in iTunes, and Uncheck the "Copy Files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option.

Then just click the File Menu, "Add to Library", and navigate to the folder that you have your files in, and there you go. iTunes will import them, and won't change your file names or ID3 tags or anything.

Of course if you add files to that folder, you will have to go back into iTunes, and add them to the Library.

12. theman macrumors 6502a

yes, exactly what todd says. i have tons of music i spent years organizing, and when i switched to mac, i just decided to try itunes. just make sure you uncheck the "keep music organized" and "move music to itunes folder" and it won't affect anything on your drive. you can still manually browse your music like normal. itunes really isnt that bad after you get used to it (believe me, i was a HUGE skeptic ot itunes). As long as your music is all tagged its great. and, its not worth the hassle to try to use some 3rd party apps for getting music on your Touch. I just set it to manual mode and drag and drop albums onto my touch instead of auto syncing.