Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I have two Macs.

Late 2012 iMac
8GB RAM
2.9 GHz i5
GTX 660M 512MB

Mid 2015 MBP
16GB RAM
2.2GHz i7
Iris Pro 1536MB

Neither of them meet the minimum req to play Doom. I'm not much of a gamer but I would love to play Doom. Is there a way to hack your hardware in any way to get it to run. Steam won't even let the game begin to run!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Neither of them meet the minimum req to play Doom. I'm not much of a gamer but I would love to play Doom. Is there a way to hack your hardware in any way to get it to run. Steam won't even let the game begin to run!

Open Steam. Right click the game in your library, and select 'Properties'. Go to launch option, then type in -dontforceminreqs and press Apply.

However on your hardware, Doom will not run well at all. On Windows, ensure you have the latest graphics drivers to try and get as much performance as you can.

For your iMac's dedicated GPU, download GeForce Experience here.

For your MacBook Pro, download Intel Driver Update here and see if there's a GPU update available.

Reactions: mixel and Huntn

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Open Steam. Right click the game in your library, and select 'Properties'. Go to launch option, then type in -dontforceminreqs and press Apply.

However on your hardware, Doom will not run well at all. On Windows, ensure you have the latest graphics drivers to try and get as much performance as you can.

For your iMac's dedicated GPU, download GeForce Experience here.

For your MacBook Pro, download Intel Driver Update here and see if there's a GPU update available.

Awesome thanks! Going to give it a shot! o_O

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
You could also fire up the games independently. I recently bought Elder Scrolls Online from Steam and my old 2010 MBA is years away from the minim requirements... still I was able to play the game on a pretty crappy settings (800x600 and everything set on low).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.