Any way to have Linux+Windows on a Macbook pro (No OS X)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dinepada, Mar 18, 2015.

1. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

That's it, I wanna know if there is any way to get both OS's without OSX in my macbook pro 13" 2010, Yosemite has made it useless :(
    Actually I have Windows 7 and OS X 10.10 installed

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sure just make a few partitions install the OSes and delete the OSX partition.
    You will need to download Windows drivers first and for 7 you need to create the MBR partition. Linux can run on the normal GPT partition.
    Then you switch between them by holding down the option key at boot. I haven't tried it but I am pretty sure that should work. Though I think OSX is the best OS on a Mac. The Touchpad sucks in Windows and you'd really be better served with a Windows notebook with decent Touchpad drivers. The Trackpad++ driver makes a bad thing not quite as terrible but it is still far from a proper smooth driver.
    I don't even know how the driver situation looks in Linux.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Won't need to do that if he installs Linux after Windows. Linux will install the GRUB menu so he will be presented with the options to boot to Linux or Windows.

Not sure about his Macbook, but on my late 2013 it's excellent actually. It's supported out of the box and it's almost like using it in OS X. Linux works much better with the Mac trackpad than a PC trackpad in my experience.